Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Crusades OGN – Review



Issue: Crusades
Writer: Izu, Alex Nikolavitch
Artist: Zhang Xiaoyu
Publisher: Humanoids
Release Date: Oct. 2012
Price: $34.95

"An epic tale where history blends with fantasy to explosive and cinematic results. Follow the Knights Templar’s elite faction as they are sent on a secretive and perilous mission, a crusade to determine the true causes of the 'Plague of Damietta.'   An all new take on the time of the Crusades brought to you by top European writing talent and promising new Chinese artistic voice, Zhang Xiaoyu."

Dying Breath: 5.0 out of 5
I am starting to see a reoccurring theme when it comes to reviewing books from Humanoids, they are all freaking amazing! Crusades carries on this tradition by tackling a historical horror religious mystery story that left me wishing more was coming. The artwork by Xiaoyu is GORE-Geous. His panels flew off the pages and slapped me in the face on a continuous basis. With some of the cleanest, most detailed artwork I have seen in a while, this book is just visually stunning. Of course I have to mention his monsters and death scenes, because the made me weep with joy. The story crafted by Izu and Nikolavitch is not overpowered by the fantastic artwork either. Taking place during the time of the Crusades, a great mystery unravels through intense action scenes, legendary fights and some amazing character building. I honestly did not know what to expect from this book, but from what I read, I was as happy as a kid in a candy store. I never wanted to put the book down, and I was sad when it ended. While the story stakes place in the 13th century, it does leave its door open to a possible continuation in present day. I hope that day will come soon, because this book was beyond what I can even put into words. This book will appeal to horror, mystery, religion and history fans the most, but everyone should go check it out. Amazing, just flat-out amazing!

Artwork: 5.0 out of 5 • Story: 5.0 out of 5

If you would like to buy or know more about Crusades you can find it at http://www.humanoids.com