Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Christopher Shy talks Dead Space Liberation

Decapitated Dan: Hey Christopher, thanks for taking time to talk with me about Dead Space: Liberation.
Christopher Shy: No problem, thanks for having me.

DD: First of all lets talk about you. Who are you and what do you do?
 
CS: Well, I run Studio Ronin, as well co-manage Black watch Comics with Michael Easton. I am a visual Designer for feature film; I write and draw graphic novels, I do fine art, a gallery called gallery provocateur in Chicago reps that, and about a million other things I can’t keep track of. I do get to sleep occasionally.

DD:
How did you find yourself getting into wanting to be an artist?

CS:
That I have always known. I was doing graphic novels at age 12. I am not kidding.

DD:
What was it that lead you to want to work on this book?

CS:
I have always been a huge fan of Dead Space. When I was offered the opportunity to come onboard and paint a series of novels, it was an easy choice. I wouldn’t turn down five more. I really have a lot of fun doing them.

DD:
So what can you tell me about Dead Space: Liberation.

CS:
The story starts with an ex-soldier, John Carver. He is stationed at the ass end of the universe, on a backwater planet, when a ship suddenly drops out of the sky and destroys the city where he and his family had been living. It also exposes a Marker. From there all Hell breaks loose.

DD:
What’s it all about?

CS:
It’s about the choices people make for the greater good, and how far a man will go to avenge his family. John Carver is a great antihero, and a great addition to the Dead Space universe. I don’t want to give away too much, but a Marker signal is involved.

DD:
Who are the main characters?

CS:
John Carver, Ellie Langford and Robert Norton.

DD:
Where did this idea come from?

CS:
I think we can say, it’s a prequel to Dead Space 3.

DD:
Do you find it difficult to tie the Video Game and Comics together?

CS:
This one was planned from the beginning to link up with Dead Space three, so not at all. I knew what we needed to stay specific with, and Visceral Games has always been very supportive of my style, and where I wanted to go in that regard. There was a bit of concept art I generated to get us on the same page, and from there it was smooth sailing. The only tricky thing, was making sure all of the rigs suits lined up at the end.

DD:
In terms of horror what can we expect?

CS:
More monsters, much different monsters, a deeper understanding of Carver, who he was, and what led him to becoming the man we will see in Dead Space three. We see a moment between him and Ellie, and learn clues about the original Marker signal.

DD:
What are you hoping readers can take away from this story?

CS:
It’s a fun ride, but it also gives us more of an examination of Ellie, Norton, and Carver. You will care more for these guys. It can only enhance the experience of the game.

DD:
Where can people go to get this book?

CS:
Titan Books will be releasing it now, I believe, I would imagine everywhere comics and books are sold.

DD:
Can we expect more Dead Space work from you in the future?

CS:
Yes, as long as Visceral wants me. I love working with these guys.

DD:
Other than Dead Space: Liberation, are there any other books are you working on at the moment?

CS:
I just finished The North End of the World with Dave Hunsaker, and before that, Soul Stealer with Michael Easton. Both of those you can find online at www.blackwatchcomics.com. Right now I am working on a new one called I Sleep in Stone.

DD:
What is the most horrific that happened to you while working on this book?

CS:
The Deadline, you always wish you had more time.

DD:
Were you into any horror titles growing up that lead you to want to work on this title?

CS:
I loved Creepy and Eerie. I read just about any horror comic out there. House of Mystery, Ghosts, etc, I always those books.

DD:
So where can readers find out more about this book, and about yourself?

CS:
I always post news about coming events, over at www.studioronin.com and
www.blackwatchcomics.com There folks can order the books, or read up on what I am working on. We also have a ton of facebook pages on each series.

DD:
So in summary give me a quick recap on Dead Space: Liberation and why fans should give it a try.


CS:
John Carver watches his family become necromorphs, and that should break any man. Instead it makes him a killing machine. Read this as a primer for Dead Space three.