Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Horror Comic Roundup - 6/11/13

Horror Comic Roundup Image drawn by Travis Wayne Pursell, colors by Decapitated Dan

Welcome to the Horror Comic Roundup! Join Decapitated Dan,  Billy Dunleavy and friends each week as they review new and old Horror Comics that you will either be dying to read or terrified to check out!

'68 Jungle Jim #3 (Image)
Decapitated Dan: Ahh, issue #3, the turning point in the mini series, when it all comes back around to lead into the ending, and MAN was this issue good. The first thing that really stood out to me was the way the story was told here. Typically I don't like things on the page jumping around like this, but once it all came together, I was loving how it was done! Best part of the issue to me was Zombies using Zombies as weapons. As if I need to say it again, Zornow's artwork is GORE-Geous! Mix in the colors by Fotos, and this book will just take your black heart away. I love this book, and incase you couldn't tell already, I am going to tell you that you need to be reading it. Zombies done so right, it's wrong not to check it out. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Bedlam #7 (Image)
Decapitated Dan: Well the first arc is over and now we start on #2, and with new artist Ryan Browne. While I will miss Rossmo on this book, I think that Browne is a great fit. He was able to really deliver on that same gritty look that I have come to expect in Bedlam. The story in this one though was really dragging on, and then of course, I get to the end and now I need more right away. I thought that the build was necessary to how this book finished, but at the time of reading it, I was close to a nap. I did love the intro scene though, had me cracking up and the Head Puppets. Overall still a great read, although I think I am beginning to move it from Horror to Crime. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

Chillers Book 2 (Transfuzion)
Decapitated Dan: Take everything I said about Chillers Book 1 and now multiply it by 2, because Book 2 was that much better! I want to start with the story by Gary Reed and Kevin Thomas "A Mother's Beauty". This story needs to be an ongoing title, I can not express how great it was on both story and artwork. I loved the concept so much, I now i seriously need more! The rest of the book is filled with above the bar tales by some of the best horror talent in comics today. So my list of top five stories in the book are "A Mother's Beauty", "Exotic Tales", "Homecoming", "The Hellfire Worm", and "Distracted Walking". Of course all 14 stories are Agh-Mazing, and I have to say I have fallen in love with the artwork of Ger Curti. I would be able to say so much more but it would just be me saying "buy it, read it, love it, share it", over and over again. READ THIS BOOK! - Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

 Crossed Badlands #30 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: Man this series just keep getting better and better. With part 2 of Gage's story arc in full swing, things just keep getting worse for this betrayed group of survivors. I think that Gage is just delivering one hell of a story. I love this concept of someone studying the Crossed, and trying to manipulate them, while being stuck in one horrible situation. It's survival of the smartest at its best. The artwork by Zanier is still GORE-Geous, and let me tell you this, when a Crossed kid goes head first into helicopter blades, it could possibly be the coolest thing ever drawn in one of these issues. I love the fact that I am happy to be reading Crossed again. This arc is fantastic, and I can not wait to see what will happen next. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0 

Dark Shadows #17 (Dynamite) 
Billy Dunleavy: For anyone out there that's looking for a new read, definitely give Dark Shadows a chance. There has been a bit of everything in this book since Mike Raicht (The Stuff of Legend, Exiles, Infestation) took the reigns. Time travel, witchcraft, werewolves, and of course, vampires! He's weaved a story that has been intriguing, and suspenseful. Right now, Nicholas Blair, along with the help of Barnabas Collins soul (he's been trapped in Limbo) are attempting to rid two of his friends from demonic possession. Also, the demon that now inhabits Barnabas' body has tracked down the vicious vampire, Lockwood, and means to make a pact to destroy Barnabas and his family forever! The artist is fantastic, as is the writing by Raicht. And the cover by Francesco Francavilla is the icing on the cake!  Rating 5/5


Demons: The Unseen #1 (Zenescope) 
Billy Dunleavy: A few of these "Unleashed" books have actually been decent and showed some promise (Vampires, Werewolves, etc.). The underlying villain behind the entire crossover is pretty good, but something else needs to tie them all together. In this story, we meet Masumi. A warrior that was in the Shadowlands but escaped to modern-day Earth. She must use her extraordinary abilities, along with swords that are mystical in nature (and possessed), to fight against the Unseen, demons that possess people and wreak havoc on Earth. Overall, this book was decent, but the angle of her being tied down to a boyfriend kind of cheapened the action. The whole "I have someone at home to  worry about" angle kind of lost its appeal years ago with many different superhero books. Nice interior artwork and cover!  Rating 3.5/5


Fatale #14 (Image) 
Billy Dunleavy: For anyone that's been missing their fix of Ed Brubaker from his Marvel work, look no further. On a hunch, one day I visited Comixology and downloaded the first issue of this series for free. Immediately after I ordered the first Tpb (trade paperback) as it was a while after the book had hit shelves. It was nothing short of awesome. In this issue, we're back in the WWII era (as the series shows different moments in time) and we see that a map has been found by a regiment of soldiers, but soon after one of the soldiers reads it, he goes completely mad, and begins to shoot the other. He eventually put down by Walt Booker. We then see Josephine, locked up and recounting how she ended up in that predicament. By the end of the issue, we see Nazi's, monsters, and good old fashioned war action!  Rating 4/5


Godzilla: Half-Century War TPB (IDW)
Denise Dutton: I know, this isn’t a newbie.  But I'm only just getting my grubby little paws on a copy, and it’s absolutely amazing.  You like Kaiju?  Who doesn’t.  Well, you’ll find our favorite green radioactive beastie here, along with literally tons of his most popular adversaries, tied together by the story of Ota, a man who has witnessed (and fought) Godzilla for 50 years.  The art here is a great mix of Western and Manga, thanks to the talented pencils of James Stokoe (who is also the creator of this fabulous story, btw).  I love everything about this comic; the characters (my favorite: the AMF Mothra team -- go hippies!), the alt-history spin, the shout-outs to Kaiju movie fans, the everything.  Mark my words; Godzilla: Half-Century War will be on comic fans shelves right next to Watchmen and The Killing Joke.  Seriously, if you don’t already have this in your library run -- do not walk -- to your local comic book store & grab it off the shelf. - (5 out of 5) 

Haunted Horror #5 (IDW)
Billy Dunleavy:
In typical fashion, we get several stories in this issue, all with an underlying theme. They all are connected by sports or something closely related to them (for the most part). Admittedly a slower issue than the previous ones, the sports themed stories were slightly tedious, but in the case of the bowling story, that wasn't true. That issue definitely vaulted the issue back into awesome status! I man who loves bowling but has a nagging wife that opposes his hobby. Lets just say that by stories end, she winds up being a part of the hobby! A prehistoric egg that ends up in a museum, bears a nightmare for a local towns inhabitants, the bride of a ghoul, and vampires Friday the thirteenth round out the last three stories! Overall, another strong issue. These old stories are such a great read and are certainly bone chilling, especially when you think about the years they were published! Rating 4/5

Locke & Key Omega #5 (IDW)
Decapitated Dan: Now I have said this over and over and over, ever since I finished reading the very first chapter of Locke & Key, THIS IS THE BEST COMIC BOOK BEING PRINTED TODAY! For 5 years this book has been so amazing, that the 3rd to last issue was guaranteed to deliver something special. I can really sum this entire issue up, by just telling you about page 3... it was F*/!ING EPIC! I could not believe how much this issue delivered for only $4. It put the pedal on the floor from the start to finish, and just never let up! Why do Hill and Rodriguez always want to make me cry? The honest answer is because this is so perfect, that you love every single cast member. And when Tyler was talking to his dad... oh man, tearing up again. While the end of this masterpiece is in sight, and the makes me sad too, all I can take away from this comic is that it proves why it is the best comic on the shelves. I will say just go ahead and say it now, THIS IS THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK STORY! - Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Rachel Rising #17 (Abstract Studios)
Decapitated Dan: Did you know that issues of Rachel Rising will always deliver 3 things to the reader? (1) GORE-Geous artwork, (2) A story that will make you fall in love with everything and everyone in it, and (3) an ending that will leave you wanting more and make you mad you have to wait another month for that to happen! This issue was FANG-Tastic (yeah it's a wolf pun). As always the artwork leaves me speechless. The scene with the hunters was so good, and it leads into the cliff hanger ending that makes me scream "NOOOOOO! I WANT MORE NOW!" Rachel Rising has been nothing but great since it started, and it just keeps getting better and better. Go get the trades and catch up, because you are really missing out by not reading this one. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Screwed #1 (Zenescope)
Billy Dunleavy: Well, lets start at the beginning. A story with Frankenstein-ish plot points, a young girl that can't remember anything, and a hospital full of people that appear to be normal, but to her, look like monsters. Lots of questions, and not many answers. The preview had me interested in this book, but after reading the full issue, I'm not so optimistic. It just seems very unoriginal so far. That being said, the writer could certainly go in a direction from here that would be interesting and cool. The artwork was definitely a strong point, and hopefully will continue to be throughout the series.  Rating 3/5

Decapitated Dan: The only thing I liked about Screwed, was putting it down. While the artwork was nice, I just could not get into the story at all. So let's just start with the artwork, there was a great sequence of panels where she was escaping from the hospital. Some nice bloody horror stuff to enjoy there. The story though, I felt was too late 90's/early '00's. I did not care much for the dialogue, and why on earth would he rip off that guys ear? It made no sense, when it looked like he was going to just squish his head. It's not a horrible book by any means, it's just not for me. - Dying Breath 2.5 out of 5.0

 Swamp Thing #21 (DC) 
Billy Dunleavy: It's been a long time since an issue of Swamp Thing was in front of me, but I can honestly say that this issue was pretty solid. First, a strange woman pops up in the Swamp, and she knows about Swampy and his heritage. She invokes some sort of protection from him but he doesn't understand. He then asks the Parliament (no, not George Clinton) to help him understand, and they let him communicate with the avatar that did make this promise of protection hundreds of years ago. After learning what he needs, the old avatar is attacked by something that seemingly destroys him, and then sets its sights on Alec. He manages to get a way, and figures out that it's Seeder (new villain?) that is after him. New creative team, new villain, and all around solid book. Good jumping on point!  Rating 4/5

Ten Grand #2 (Image)
Decapitated Dan: First off, if you miss the REAL Hellblazer, read Ten Grand. JMS and Templesmith are creating something here, that is just beautiful. I'd like to be able to use another word to describe issue #2, but I can't it's just perfect all around. The story gets rolling and only picks up the pace after page 1. I love the concept, and way that JMS is presenting this tale. That demon was GORE-Geous and when he went BOOM I was only thinking that Ben was the perfect artist for that page. With only 2 issues so far, I am hooked, and all I can really think right now is how I want more, and want it now. I wish this book was weekly. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Twisted Tales of Madness and Murder #1 (Twisted Publications)
Decapitated Dan: I was loving this issue... and then it ended and it left me wondering why? The story in this issue is great. You have a man done wrong by his woman and best friend, who then acts out a year long plan to get revenge only to have this even bigger twist thrown in right in the middle of the second act. I say act because this issue really seemed to have 3 acts to it. I won't give away the twist either, because it was that damn good. However the issue just ends, and it's not at a point that I thought worked. Maybe 1 more page was needed to lead into the next issue. The artwork is great, and very consistent. Galusha did a fantastic job with the torture scenes, and drove him that decapitation. Overall a really great start to something I really want to read more of. That ending though just left me a little mad because it was on such a great pace up until that point. Serial killer fans, check this one out. - Dying Breath 3.5 out of 5.0



Über #2 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: I still don't want to 100% classify this book as horror, but I do want to classify it as 100% AMAZING! Set towards the end of WWII the Germans have released their final weapons out against the Allies, and holy crap is it a BLOODY GOOD MESS! Gillen is crafting a tale that just has me hooked. I love this concept, I love that it makes you feel nervous and wrong for reading it (read Gillen's notes at the end of the book, he really sums it up nicely.) The artwork by White is to DIE for. The one scene, out of many, that blew my mind was when an Über Soldier literally blew his mind. You get the bloody goodness you expect from Avatar books with this comic, but you also get a great story that just has me hooked. LOVE this so far! - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0