Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Horror Comic Roundup - 7/2/13

Horror Comic Roundup Image drawn by Travis Wayne Pursell, colors by Decapitated Dan

Welcome to the Horror Comic Roundup! Join Decapitated Dan,  Billy Dunleavy and friends each week as they review new and old Horror Comics that you will either be dying to read or terrified to check out!
Are You There Cthulhu? It’s Me Ted (Instant Press Comics)
Decapitated Dan: I might not be the worlds biggest Lovecraft expert, but I do like me some H.P. stories, so when I had a chance to check out this book I was excited. The story is a fun horrorific read that really left me wanting more. Taking the concept of bringing about the end of the world and adding on a comedic twist to it makes this a solid read. The story follows around Ted, a young guy just looking to find out his way, while coming into contact with the wrong people via craigslist. The comedy and horror ensue as they bring Cthulhu into our world and proceed to, in a way, freak out about it. The delivery of the jokes is near perfect and the story is really entertaining. If anything it’s sucks because this is just a one shot. I would love to see more. The artwork plays on the comedy side of the book, with it’s animation like style. If there was a way to give this genre a fun take, this book is it. I think H.P. fans and all horror fans alike, would enjoy giving this book a read. Great stuff from start to finish. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0


BPRD Vampire #4 (Dark Horse)
Billy Dunleavy: If you like horror, you should buy this book just from the cover. Seriously! It’s not a hoax either, you do get a blood-thirsty spider creature, witches, zombies, and everything in-between in this issue. Honestly, the colors by Dave Stewart are awesome, but this book might be even better if it were in black and white. It has an old school magazine vibe to it like the issues from the 1970’s, and that’s a good thing. Anders is now possessed by two evil spirits, and the village full of witches is going to attempt to cast them out, and destroy them. Yeah, good luck with that one. If you like Mignola, Moon, or Ba, you need to get this book. The story and visuals are strong, and it stands on its own (for now anyway), without having to have read any previous incarnations of BPRD or Hellboy.  Rating 4.5/5

Decapitated Dan: This series keeps getting better and better, but... it ends soon so that makes me sad. What I really love about this series is the artwork. I can not get over how amazing the pages look, and how dark and gritty they come across. I was in love with the panels with the big witch showdown. The pacing of the story is fantastic, and what really nailed this one down was the fantastic ending. This is one solid mini series. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0


Cape Fear OGN (Zombie Portrait Productins)
Decapitated Dan: Where on Earth has the artwork of Sacchetto been all of my life? To say that this book is GORE-Geous is seriously an understatement, because panel after panel it left my jaw on the floor. It reminded me of Dave Cooper’s style from the Aircel days, with it’s detail in a fun animated style. The werewolf in this is by far one of the most solid monsters I have ever seen on a page and man I could not get enough of it. The lettering done is what really pushed this book to get the score that it did though. The sound effects jump off the page, and add that little extra touch to make this a book not to be missed. As if the artwork was not enough to pick up this book, I have to mention the story. At first I was not sure where this one was going, but as the chapters played out, and it all came together, I was hooked. The concept of a realm where fear is something that one being controls, and that privilege is fought over is very interesting. Add into that the mix of having Earth totems and how the monsters and people interact, and you have one compelling story. Do not read this review and think this is a book you should pass on, instead read this and know this is a book you need to check out. It delivers on all levels and will not let you down for even one second. This is what we call a hidden gem, so lets all work together to make sure it is hidden no more. Pick this one up!!! -  Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Crawling Sky #4 (Antarctic Press)
Decapiated Dan: Oh man what a conclusion to this mini series that is not to be missed! From the start I knew this book was not going to be anything short of fantastic, and the way it all came together here at the end nailed that thought. The artwork is more the focus here as the comic really depicts the big showdown between our heroes and the monster. Denham is going to get 10 high fives from me, because each panel left me breathless. The toning of the artwork on top of how amazing the fight played out was phenomenal. The “story” in terms of wording was really not there, but the visual story was all that was really needed here. Like I said, from this start of this mini to now, I knew this was going to be good, and in return it was great. Do yourself a favor and go get this one, if you missed out it is your own fault you decided not to read on of the best books this year. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0
Crossed Badlands #31 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: Every time I pick up an issue of this arc by Gage I know I am going to be given a solid read. I have to keep repeating myself by saying that I love the concept of this story. The idea of in a way dissecting how the Crossed think is such a unique way to go about this, because they are not zombies, they are just people with a bad bad case of rabies. Take this issue for example, Smokey now knows of the journal, and yet he has his own agenda, that we are not being told yet. Then you have Oliver, who is doing what he can to just survive in this messed up world. Add in the GORE-Geous, emphasis on the gore here, artwork by Zanier and this is just another solid issue. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Five Ghosts The Haunting of Fabian Gray #4 (Image)
Billy Dunleavy: Another solid issue! This series has yet to disappoint on any level. In this installment, we watch, as Fabian is put thru a test by each of his “ghosts”, in some sort of dreamland. He eventually passes them all, but the real story is the ghosts then being attacked by a demon that is trying to not only kill them, but Fabian as well! Good story, as the previous issues showed, and the artwork is very strong. It’s the perfect match for this story, and the colorist deserves a share of the credit, no doubt! It will be interesting to see how things play out with next issue being the last issue of the mini series, as there seems to be so much more to expand on. Hopefully sales will reflect this awesome book, and we can get more in the near future!  Rating 4.5/5

Fatale #15 (Image)
Billy Dunleavy: With only having read the first trade (five issues), and two others after that (one being last issue) it’s not easy to piece things together. Honestly though, the story was still compelling, and leads you down a road to Josephine. This beautiful brunette has apparently enthralled many men over several decades, and she doesn’t age either, so that helps with the seduction part. We also get to see Nicholas, as he’s being taken to discuss things with his lawyer. Before you know it, a janitor comes in, kills the lawyer, and Nicholas is on the run. We then flash to 1995, and see that Josephine is an amnesiac, or pretending to be, and it looks as though she’s brutally murdered a few people in someone’s basement, where she was being held against her will. Long story short here. A lot has gone on in this series, and you need to keep up. Good issue, but not a good jumping on point.  Rating 4/5

 Ghostbusters #5 (IDW)
Decapitated Dan: I have not had this much fun with the Ghostbusters since I was a kid watching the cartoon. I want to start by just saying how great the artwork is. The take on the cast has that cartoon vibe to it, but gives them all an updated look that I love. Add into that the amazing colors and this book is just a visual winner. The story also carries that fun that was once found in the cartoon series. I love the addition of the new members, and everything that is happening now with the team trying to get things sorted out. What really sealed the deal on this issue in terms of horror though, was the final few pages. With one of the members now being possessed, I can not wait to find out what happens next. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

 Hoax Hunters: Case Files #1 (Image)
Denise Dutton: I adore Hoax Hunters. They’re part goofy satire, part monster-palooza, part serious story. Think Magnum P. I., if Magnum and the crew fought paranormal stuff. (And had cool abilities of their own.) Case Files is unrelated to their primary storyline, but these stories have the same funky/freaky vibe as the usual issues. Reagan is excited about the chance to see a unicorn, the Hunters meet a god in his BVD’s, and disprove Supreme Man, among other things. And did I mention we get to meet Murder’s ex? These short & sweet stories are a great jump in point for new readers, though I heartily recommend starting at issue #1 of HH. (4 out of 5)

The Last Zombie: The End #2 (Antarctic Press)
Decapitated Dan: The honest answer is that Keene has done no wrong in crafting one of the best comics of the past 3 years. This issue moves the final chapter forward as we see Dr. Scott finally begin to make that transformation he was fighting all along. How justified is it that when that happened, it happened to two of the most deserving people yet. The story moves forward at a perfect pace, and man what an ending. I am also really loving the artwork of Chris Allen. I really only thought 1 panel looked a little hurried, but it was in the middle of a great action sequence. I have said it time and time again, this series is solid, and so much fun to read. I have enjoyed every second of it, and as we come to a close in a few issues, I know it is something I am really going to end up missing when it is gone. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Vitriol The Hunter #5 (IDW)
Decapitated Dan: I am really mad at myself for not reading this whole series, because this issue was really good. I think what I like best about Vitriol is that it has this PG look, but the content is so R rated. That mix just spells out FUN and I am big on that when reading comics. Continuing on with what took place in the last issue, this issue kind of slows down at the start, and then ramps it back up at the end. I love the art, and I love how this is playing out. I am vowing it here, to myself, that I will go out and get caught up before #6 comes out. A great read. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

The Wake #2 (Vertigo)
Billy Dunleavy: After reading this issue, instead of feeling dazzled and horrified, I’m lost. Most of the book made sense, but really seems like something else most readers will have already seen. The crew talks about the creature and gives an assessment on what they think it is. The dialogue is pretty good, as is the pacing. After that, there is a series of dreams (maybe?) that some of the crew have, but it’s very hard to tell what’s real and what’s a dream. This along with some semi-erotic thriller action made the story weaker. Hopefully this issue is just a slow burn heading towards something fantastic. Question is, will people hang around to find out for eight more issues?  Rating 3/5

Decapitated Dan: I am still on the fence with this one. I really love the concept, and the way it was executed in this issue through the dialogue was way better than issue #1. However I am thinking that this should be presented in larger chunks. What I mean by that is, there is sooooo much story to be presented, which I know because I read the first two issues, that if we have to wait 1 more issue for everything to fully be presented, it sucks. I will say this though, the creepy factor went way up in this issue. It really reminds me of those late 80’s early 90’s underwater Sci-Fi movies, where the environment adds more to the scare factor. So far I am liking the start, but I hope it fleshes itself out faster in the coming issues. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

Denise Dutton: First off, I just want to pay homage to Sean Murphy and Jordie Bellaire; the cover of this issue is gorgeous, and a cool throwback to Golden Age action comics. Now where were we? Oh yes. Snyder is playing out a sci-fi/horror tale that feels a little like Carpenter’s The Thing meets 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, but is wholly original. I love it when a comic stirs up my latent science nerd. And this one does. There’s still a few WTF moments, where the main story gets interrupted by background/dream sequences/the unknown, but now I know that it’s all going to come together soon. I got to see prehistoric man battle a Megalodon! Thank you, The Wake. (4.5 out of 5)