Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Horror Comic Roundup - 7/30/13


Horror Comic Roundup Image drawn by Travis Wayne Pursell, colors by Decapitated Dan

Welcome to the Horror Comic Roundup! Join Decapitated Dan,  Billy Dunleavy and friends each week as they review new and old Horror Comics that you will either be dying to read or terrified to check out!

Army of Darkness vs. Hack Slash #1 (Dynamite)
Decapitated Dan: Well, that was different. I think I know the bare minimum about Hack Slash, but I think I know enough to pick up a #1 which is a crossover. Then I say to myself, that I think I know enough about Army of Darkness, but really only the movie, the comics didn’t do too much for me. So going into this I was hoping to be entertained, I figured there would be some good humor involved, and this would just be a fun read. I didn’t get that though. I was bored from the start, and I thought the jokes were not funny. The artwork I did enjoy, I really do like Liester’s work. Overall I did not expect too much from this, but I wanted to give it a try. I walk away from it just knowing it’s not for me. I think fans of both comic series will enjoy it though. - Dying Breath 2.5 out of 5.0

Arsenic Lullaby: The Big Stall (A.L. Publishing)
Decapitated Dan: Dear Reader, when you get to the end of this review, do yourself a favor and go buy this book. If you like funny comics, that will make you laugh out loud, this is the book for you. If you like books where it shows so much thought and consideration for writing and art went into them, this is the book for you. Paszkiewicz delivers so perfectly on every level of this book. So lets just focus on the horror elements. This book has Aliens, Yetis, Satan and the big star of the book, Cthulhu! Sure the Cthulhu parts are the best, but that didn’t stop every other page from blowing my mind. I know if I keep going on and on about how funny this book is, and how great the artwork is, it will get annoying. So lets simplify and just say this... BUY IT, BUY IT, BUY IT! - Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Cromwell Green #1 (Melted Wax Publishing)
Decapitated Dan: Now this here is a really fun book that I thought mixed elements of Horror, Scott Pilgrim, Fantasy, and Fairy Tale Lore. WHOA thats a crapload or material. This is a GORE-Geous book, I loved the designs on the Leper-Cons, yeah you read that right. The look really had the feel of some of the 90’s Slave Labor books like Squee, Johnny, etc. The story is a ton of fun, but I could also tell that this was a #1, because of a few plot jumps here and there. But that is something all creators get better at as things move forward. My big highlight from this issue was defiantly when the history of the Leper-Cons was told. The design of those pages mixed with the lettering, was perfection. Overall this is a solid start, and something I will be buying for years to come. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

Crossed Badlands #33 (Avatar)
Decapitated Dan: Well the really great story arc is over, so does that mean I am doing reading Crossed again? Nope! Lapham is back on this story arc and it is off to a great start. I do have a feeling that this is continuing on from an arc I did not read, but there was enough history retold that I was able to catch on. Again a new concept on the Crossed is presented and I love it. The concept that this particular group is religious and kills the sinners is funny. I’m not really in love with the artwork of Ruiz, it gets the job done. This is a good start to this next arc. I am really happy to be reading Crossed again. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

The Crow: Curare #1 (IDW)
Decapitated Dan: Wow, I am so impressed with the way this story is being presented by both the visuals and the story. I really do think this one is safe to pick up and read if you missed #1, but you really should go back and read it. The story can easily be uncomfortable, but it’s making for a great overall read. The artwork by Dodé is just GORE-Geous. The way he tells the story with his artwork is what is really amping this book up for me. I loved the opening scene where the cop is beating on the man in the car. But the best image in the whole book came down to a sad stuffed animal sitting on a swing. That just nails the loss that you as a reader need to relate to a Crow story. I am loving this book, and I think it’s just as simple as me saying if you read it to you will know why. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Dark Shadows: Year One #4 (Dynamite)
Billy Dunleavy: In this issue we see MIllicent, and her new husband, Nathan Forbes. He’s only married her for her money, but gets a rude awakening when he finds out that she’s willed all of her wealth to her cousin. This doesn’t sit well with Forbes, but he’s got an ace up his sleeve. Meanwhile, we see an innocent girl, burned at the stake by a holy man that is more interested in gaining the peoples favor than doing the right thing. Its OK though, because he’ll pay the ultimate price for his misdeeds, Barnabas will see to that for sure! Overall it was a good issue as far as story art, and pacing, but it lacked a “big” moment to really shock you. Forbes seeing Barnabas was cool, but eventually a few people will find out about him still being alive, so it took some wind out of the sails on that moment.  Rating  4/5

Stitched #15 (Avatar)
Decapitated Dan: You want to talk about some creepy stuff happening in a comic, then look no further than this issue. While most of the issue is just build on how a man control the stitched, when it all goes down I was cringing. I don’t like it when you mess with the eyes, and this issue had me reading it with my hands covering my line of sight. The story is solid, and the artwork is perfect. I do like where this arc is going more, then the first few issues of the series that I read, but that being said, I did miss out on a lot of story in between. I am loving this book right now, and I will be going back to get caught up. And for the love of all things horror, leave the eyes alone! - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Thumbprint #2 (IDW)
Billy Dunleavy: A bloody thumbprint, a seedy diner, an a soldier with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder are all this story needs to keep you coming back. Mallory, the lead character, who is a veteran of the military, served in desert combat overseas. She’s taken that training, and applied it to everyday life. The only problem is that someone, in the shadows, in messing with her head. At first she thinks it might be a local scumbag, but she realizes he isn’t smart enough for this kind of thing. So that leaves her wondering if this might be from an ordeal that happened years ago in the desert. A flashback scene in the middle of this book is outstanding, and really lends some weight to the book. We get to see either who is messing with Mallory or just a red herring. Either way, it was a fantastic issue that has an incredibly strong story and more than serviceable artwork.  Rating  4.5/5