Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Horror Comic Roundup - 8/27/13


Horror Comic Roundup Image drawn by Travis Wayne Pursell, colors by Decapitated Dan

Welcome to the Horror Comic Roundup! Join Decapitated Dan,  Billy Dunleavy and friends each week as they review new and old Horror Comics that you will either be dying to read or terrified to check out!

A1 #3 (Atomeka/Titan Comics)
Billy Dunleavy: Another fine installment of The Weirding Willows comes racing out of the first few pages, and it’s really getting interesting. Frankenstein has joined the story, and the witch (Miss Marche), seems to be holding a secret. Great story and artwork. Carpe Diem was another case of absolute craziness and fun! When the Super Mario character ate a mushroom and grew, it was hilarious! The video game angle was quite good as well. The final page was gruesome indeed! As for Odyssey, it really cranked up the action, and when a room full of children are being used as cover for a wretched military, you know that it’s gonna hit the fan! Brilliant job all around on this issue!  Rating 4.5/5

Bela Lugosi’s Tales From the Grave #4 (Monsterverse)
Decapitated Dan: Now this is an anthology that everyone needs to be reading, and issue #4 proves why. This book has 5 chilling tales that will have you hooked. In my personal opinion the best story was the first story “The Evil Eye”. The artwork on this one was top notch, and the story to go with it was killer. Of course by me saying that the first story was my favorite does not mean that the rest were not amazing as well. “Four Way Split” recalled memories of reading 70’s silver age horror. The story “The Monster” by Rob Brown and Ed Polgardy by far had the best twist. Overall this is just one of the most solid anthologies on the comic market today. If Screams old school why having that modern vibe. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Blood Brothers #2 (Dark Horse)
Decapitated Dan: I am not sure what it is about this book, but it seems to just hit the spot every time I read it. The jokes are silly and in a way sophomoric, but they always seem to hit at the right time. I think that the artwork plays into the story very well. At times it can deliver a visual joke perfectly, and it has that great balance of serious action and comedy in it’s style. Overall it’s a fun read, think Buddy Cop meets Vampires and there you have it. Just plain fun, but not very horror. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

B.P.R.D. #110 (Dark Horse)
Billy Dunleavy: For those doubters out there, that think the BPRD books are inaccessible, think again. There isn’t a better time to jump on board than right now! The beginning of the book shows us Liz Sherman in a hospital doing rehab. The pages were just spectacular, from a story perspective, and well as artistically. We also get to see some creepy doctor that is reanimating dead animals, but for what purpose, we don’t know yet. Fenix is on her way back home, but what waits for her behind close doors, might just be worse than what was there before!  Rating 5/5

Decapitated Dan: Well they main arc I started reading BPRD on ended with the last issue, so would I be lost with a new arc starting? No. The little recap at the start does help, and then of course as this issue plays out, people are introduced to me, so I think it works for new readers. What I really do love about this book, is how “dead” this world really is. Mignola and Arcudi have created an environment that creeps me out page after page because I never feel safe. A prime example is when the freaking beast comes out of the ocean. By the way much love on Tyler Crook’s GORE-Geous artwork. So leading into the next issue we get to have a little Re-Animator fun, and I am still so on board with this book. Easily one of the best horror books on the stands. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Chin Music #2 (Image)
Denise Dutton: I don’t often say “work of art” about comics, even though there’s some pretty fantastic stuff out there. But Tony Harris’ work in this issue is a gorgeous, Art Deco fever dream that is gross, gorgeous and definitely worthy of the term art. And Niles twists the story, winding it up so tight that I wasn’t sure what was going on…. But the tumblers fell into place at the end, leaving me wanting more of this Elliott Ness In Magicland story. I may get thrown by Niles’ story from time to time, but damn if the trip ain’t beautiful. (4 out of 5)

Chronos Commandos #2 (Titan Comics)Billy Dunleavy: This sci-fi, WWII, military action book is fantastic! Yuo get non-stop action, bullets flying, blood spattering, and oh yeah, dinosaurs too! The creative team has really done a good job on making this book seem very realistic. From the weapons, uniforms, and even the jabber between the Nazis, and the Allied troops (mostly the Sarge!). Speaking of the Sarge, he’s one bad mutha! He basically takes down an entire squad of Nazis himself, all while saving the doctor too (who looks like Albert Einstein). This book kicks butt!  Rating 5/5

Constantine #6 (DC)
Denise Dutton: John Constantine is bleeding out on the ground. Mages gunning for his destruction are thisclose to getting their wish. In the Astral Plane, John has a ton of payback in store, courtesy of all the people he’s wronged. Let’s just say the line wraps around the block a few times. And poor Lloyd has to deal with a ton of ghastlies from The Cult of the Cold Flame, as they try to get at John’s body. Just a typical day for our boy, but it’s a satisfying ride. I’m firmly in the New Constantine camp with this issue. It may not be the Constantine we’ve known before, but Ray Fawkes is delivering just the right amount of wicked fun to win me over. Not to mention the brilliant art and colors from Renato Guedes & Marcelo Maiolo. Bravo, y’all. (5 out of 5)

Creepy #13 (Dark Horse)
Denise Dutton: Lucky number 13? Meh. As much as I looked forward to this issue, I can’t come up with much more than a sad trombone for the stories here. Why? Because they’ve been done before, and better. “The Last Stop” is a lukewarm “Down Bound Train”. “The Squaw”? A mean spirited, unfulfilling riff on “The Black Cat”. It’s as if the bulk of these stories were grabbed out of the Pass bin and published to make deadline. Yes, with genre pieces you’re always going to be comparing one story to another. But I was looking for a new, or at least interesting, spin. Luckily,”The Prospectre” by John Habermas tells an Old West ghost story that managed to make me smile (D. W. Frydendall’s groovy art adds to the fun) and Dan Braun & Peter Bagge’s “Creepy Cat in ‘Cat Crossing’” is an – dare I say it? – adorable look at my favorite animal. Thank the Dark Ones for these two tales. (2.5 out of 5)

Demon Knights #23 (DC)
Billy Dunleavy: If you’ve ever wanted to see a fierce female warrior slam an axe between the legs of a giant, look no further! This book has been very solid throughout its entire run, and this issue certainly kept pace.The team is ready to defend the city of Al Jabr, against the giants that have been coerced by Vandal Savage. Once the Black Diamond is tossed into the midst of the giants though, all heck breaks loose, and you have some awesome giant on giant violence!  Good ending to this arc, and the artwork was spot on.  Rating 4/5

Dinosaurs Attack #2 (IDW)
Billy Dunleavy: You know the term “popcorn movie”, well, that’s exactly what this book reminds me of. Extremely entertaining, visually, but also with the dialogue too. It’s an obvious homage to certain movies, and has quite a few references to modern day theories on the dinosaurs that it pokes fun at. The writer does have a story to tell, but lets be honest, this book is all about the visuals. Splash pages galore in this issue, and they are so awesome, you won’t be able to pick a favorite! Half of the book is by legend Herb Trimpe, and the other half by Flint Henry. Both men do an excellent job drawing the dinosaurs, and the colors by Tom Ziuko really make the panels jump right out of the book. If you’re looking for a light read but big fun, check this series out!  Rating 4/5

Hellraiser: Dark Watch #7: (Boom)
Denise Dutton: Cenobites that give a crap about humans? Stranger still, ones that align with humans to fight a rival to Hell? A Cenobite that doesn’t always speak in tones of Very Ominous Doom? What is Clive Barker doing? I’m not sure, but this scramble of the “usual” Hellraiser mythos has caught my eye with this issue. D’Amour, the new (and not 100% respected) Pope of Hell, needs an assist from humans Tiffany, Norton and Theo. Do they each have their own, incompatible, issues? You betcha. Does the war between Leviathan and his sister take a verrrry interesting turn? Absolutely. As I jumped into this series late, I’m betting on the new, almost human Cenobite D’Amour’s patois growing on me. And from the looks of the final panel, readers are headed for a wild ride in #8. Bring it, Barker. (3.5 out of 5)

The Horror Show (Broken Icon)
Decapitated Dan: Well now, what have we here! When I get a chance to check out a new indie book, I really have no idea what is in store for me. Typically there is no solicit, and it’s a blind jump into it. So how do I sum up The Horror Show in two words? F!(*ing AAGH-Mazing! I can’t say that the story doesn’t have a dialogue issue here or there, as well as I can’t say that some panels are a little too over shadowed. However there is no reason at all to be nit picking, when the overall concept and twist was that damn good. I wasn’t expecting it, I could not have seen it coming, and it floored me! If this is a one shot, it’s cool, but I would love to know more. Take a chance and grab this one, there is no way in hell it will let you down. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Night of the Living Aftermath #10 (Avatar)
Decapitated Dan:  I do have to admit that I thought I saw where this story was going, and this issue just turned that around. Hine is crafting a fantastic zombie story here, and I have to say you should not be missing out on it. I love when science comes into play, and you get to see how humanity reacts to the situation as a whole. I really liked how the two characters who became infected reacted to it, and I think it just opens this book up for an even longer storyline. The artwork by Aira is good, but it’s not my favorite. I think he does a  great job of getting the job done, but his style doesn’t really stand out to me. Overall though, this book is solid from start to finish. I love being able to read a real zombie story that actually involves zombies and shows what Horror Comics are all about. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

The Sixth Gun #33 (Oni Press)
Decapitated Dan: Here’s what cracks me up, every month I know what books I have to read because they are that damn good, and for some odd reason, I always forget to have The Sixth Gun on that list. Yet after I read it, I smack myself and say “You moron, this book f!(*ing rocks!” So needless to say, this issue is amazing, just as they all are. Bunn really deliveres on this story, and while you need to have read it from the start, it’s not to late to get caught up. The recap page in this book is always fantastic too. This issue does have some great action, but to me it was all about the dinner scene with Becky and Hume. It really builds up this great tension that should play out soon. Also so much love has to be sent Brian Hurtt and Bill Crabtree’s way, because they make this book look so damn good. The easy way to describe The Sixth Gun is that it has a solid spot in my top 10 current books right now. Read this book! - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

The Strain: The Fall #2 (Dark Horse)
Billy Dunleavy: The first issue was absolutely awesome, and believe it or not, issue number two was even better. Ephraim and Yasiliy are combing the city for more nests or just even a clue as to where The Master is hiding. They approached by the CDC for help, but Ephraim sniffs out their trap, and they escape. Meanwhile, Augustine (the con from the first volume), is given an offer by a mysterious sect of vampires to help eradicate the current “disease” that’s running wild in New York City. This series is picking up right where the first left off, and that’s the top of the heap of horror comics, and quite frankly, all comics!  Rating 5/5

Decapitated Dan: I wish, and I mean this, I wish that there was never a gap in-between these two story arcs and here is why. It’s tough for me to really recall exactly what happened in the first mini-series and the entire cast. So I do wish the recap page was a little better. As for this issue though, oh man was it good. My favorite scene has to be when the two gangs make the deal and the “see white”. That was just FANG-Tastic! The story moves at a great pace and I will once again praise Lapham and Huddleston for making this book so enjoyable. The ending is something to “see”, totally pun intended there. The Strain is probably the best vampire comic on the shelves right now, and this issue will prove why. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Westwood Witches #2 (Amigo Comics)
Decapitated Dan: While it has been a little bit since I read issue #1, I never really felt to lost in reading #2. That being said, sure a recap page would have been nice, but I didn’t need it. So we start this issue with the witches discussing what to do with the writer, and things just get amped up from there. I do think that at times early in this issue the story jumped a bit and I was a little confused, but using those good old context clues I figured it out. The story really hits its stride once two of the witches decide to have some fun with a virgin (wink wink). The action builds and leads to a fantastic climactic ending that will have you screaming for more. The artwork is solid for the most part, but I did get confused deciphering between the women, who was who. The one scene that is just GORE-Geous, has to do with a head going bye bye, sorry I can’t spoil it for you. All in all, this is a must read horror comic. It deals with a subject that is not often touched on in Horror Comics, and it delivers page after page. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0