Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Horror Comic Roundup - 10/1/13

Horror Comic Roundup Image drawn by Travis Wayne Pursell, colors by Decapitated Dan

Welcome to the Horror Comic Roundup! Join Decapitated Dan,  Billy Dunleavy, Denise Dutton and friends each week as they review new and old Horror Comics that you will either be dying to read or terrified to check out!


B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth #111 (Dark Horse)
Billy Dunleavy: This was a fantastic issue that was a bit of a step away from the crazy action lately. Most of the issue focused on Liz Sherman, as she’s still in the hospital recovering. She also seems to have a talent for helping others that are down on their luck, so that’s a new angle for her. We do get to see Fenix, and what she’s up to, and then finally, Liz has a confrontation with one of the doctors at the facility, and the crap really hits the fan when she forces her way into his lab! Mignola, Arcudi, Crook, and Stewart, are geniuses! There is no doubt this is the best ongoing title on the shelves today.  Rating 5/5


Batman & Robin #23.4 Killer Croc #1 (DC)
Decapitated Dan: Much like the Solomon Grundy issue that recently came out, I know nothing about Killer Croc, but I do want to know more. So I picked up this issue, I didn’t have any expectations, but I do now. WOW! This issue was awesome, and much like Grundy, I would love to see more of this character, but I know we won’t. Seeley really delivered one hell of a heart pulling tale, that made you really feel for KC. The entire issue plays out to make him this horrible murderous villain, but you learn things are not always what they appear to be. Portella’s artwork was GORE-Geous, and yes that is a big emphasis on the GORE! I didn’t expect to see this much blood in a DC book, but it really did make the overall read that much better. This is what sucks about these villain issues, they rock, but when it’s back to the Supe’s none of this matters. Great issue on all fronts, I really do consider it a must read. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0


Clive Barker’s Next Testament #4 (Boom)
Denise Dutton: Wick, the God of Ennui (or at least it seems like it) is still trying to figure out why humanity doesn’t give a toss about Him. Why won’t anyone feel the lurves? Um, maybe your penchant for killing folks just for the heck of it has something to do with it. Just a thought. As Wick becomes more and more unhinged, our Everycouple Tristan and Elspeth are trying to figure out how to survive in a world where God is not happy. The shocking ending of the last issue starts this one off with a literal bang, and when Wick gets to Hollywood - “show me the New Rome” - things look just as grim for the final panels of this issue. I love the ideas of humanity’s loss of faith tied up with Wick’s discomfiture about how nobody looks to Him anymore. Either Wick needs to mellow, or humanity needs to start taking a knee. And in this story, I’m not seeing any mellowing.... (4.5 out of 5)


Criminal Macabre - The Eyes of Frankenstein #1 (Dark Horse)
Denise Dutton: In this four issue mini, antihero Cal McDonald - hey, it sounds better than monster fighting degenerate - runs into Frankenstein’s monster. They’ve met before, sure. But this time Adam (the monster’s given name) is going blind. Is it linked to whatever is that’s causing ghouls to die? I’m betting on it. Since Cal now has more than a passing interest in the life and death of these creatures, Steve Niles seems to be gearing up for a very interesting story. Should be a good time. (5 out of 5)


Crossed Badlands #36 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: This arc by Lapham was really good, but I do admit I was lost because I did not read the previous arc that contained this cast. This is one of those, I wish they did a recap page issues, well all 4 issues of this arc, because it would have been a good way to get me caught up on what came before. This storyline also left itself wide open to come back to one very interesting character, Crossed Pope. Well I will call him that, I am sure he was probably just a priest. The artwork by Ruiz s great, and has been very solid throughout this storyline. There really is not more to say, it was a great arc. Now bring on the next one! - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0


Dark Shadows #20 (Dynamite)
Billy Dunleavy: The tale of Barnabas versus Lockwood versus Barnabas’ evil side, seems to be building to a head. While Blair, Quentin, Julia, and the others are mounting an assault against Lockwood, David and Emma are at her parents house, but then the evil incarnation of Barnabas comes knocking at the door. As if that isn’t terrifying enough, someone is already in the house, and he has murder on his mind! More solid story and artwork to die for!  Rating  4/5


Godzilla Rulers of Earth #4 (IDW)
Denise Dutton: Woo-hoo! Godzilla Rulers of Earth has gotten down to business, and the business is monster-palooza! In this issue, the alien menace has taken a back seat to good ol’ fashioned monster on monster throwdowns. Mothra, along with two of her young, steps in to aid Godzilla when the big red alien mutant monster (Destroyah, tweaking that kaiju’s 1995 origin story) starts attacking a weakened Big G. Thankfully there’s no silly Comic-Con tie in, or any other 4th wall shenanigans here. It’s all action, all the time. And if you haven’t figured it out by now, Shawn Lee is blowing away the competition with his lettering. Go go, Godzilla! (5 out of 5)


Kiss Me Satan #1 (Dark Horse)
Billy Dunleavy: There are five essential things you need to know about this book if you’re thinking about picking it up. First, New Orleans is the setting, and that is cool. Secondly, there are werewolves controlling the seedy underworld. Third, witches are also involved, but are on the run from the werewolves. Fourth, Victor Gischler is the writer, and fifth, Juan Ferreyra is the artist. Both of these creators have a track record for producing top notch horror work recently, and you must give them a chance, because I promise, they will win you over! One issue of werewolves, witches, and a man on the run from demons will take you to another world, that’s full of non-stop action!  Rating 5/5

Decapitated Dan: Do you remember when I was reviewing Colder, and all I did was talk about how GORE-Geous the artwork of Juan Ferreyra was? Well guess what... his werewolves and witches are F^$#&!%* GORE-Geous! Now I do have to admit that I think Gischler went into my mind and knew how to sell me on this book. Werewolves... SOLD! New Orleans... SOLD AGAIN! So it was a no brainer I was going to read this, but who knew I would like it this much? The story is a hit, and never misses a beat. This issue does what you want in a #1, it gives you more then you asked for, but leaves you wanting so much more. Look don’t take my word for it, just read it and you will know what I am talking about. Seriously, go now and read it. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0


Night of the 80’s Undead #2 (Action Lab)
Decapitated Dan: I really do want to like this series, it has so many great ideas in place, however it’s too cheesy for me. I think that the way the infection is spreading, and some of the references are fantastic. Martin does a great job on the pacing, which can’t be too easy because it is all just non-stop action. The artwork by McKay is great. There are some really good death scenes here, and come on a Spuds McKenzie reference, NICE!!! Overall this is a fun horror action read, but it just goes Over the Top (80’s joke) too often for my liking. - Dying Breath 3.0 out of 5.0

Denise Dutton: More hip 80s skewering, more gore, and another kickass song list. As story writer Jason Martin puts it, this is a “cocaine legwarmer fever dream”. And you’re either in for the weirdness, or not. I’m up for it, because it has it’s snark up to 11, and at three issues - just one more to go for those who are counting - it’s not going to overstay it’s welcome. Does this series make sense? Absolutely not. Is it a hoot? Absolutely. (4 out of 5)


Other Dead #1 (IDW)
Decapitated Dan: I do have to admit, I did not know what to really expect out of this book. I was hoping it wasn’t going to just be rabid zombie animals going crazy and come off like a B-Movie, and it didn’t. What this issue did, was deliver a solid, creepy ass story that I can not wait to come back to in a month. I want to start with Mui’s artwork because it was GORE-Geous. I mean how much can a horror lover complain about a page showing people being attacked by flying dead ducks? Or how about seeing a deer return to life with it’s brains out? YAY!! Now I did have some issues here and there. Just my personal preference, I don’t care for using real people in stories. You will know what I mean when you read this. Overall though, this is shaping up to be a seriously good read. I think that Ortega and Mesch did an amazing job of making this serious and not campy. I can not wait to see what comes next! - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

Denise Dutton: Damn. I love me some zombies, but I never thought about what would happen if that infection hit our animal buddies. Zombie alligators, anyone? With the start of this series, Joshua Ortega isn’t giving up the how or why of it all, but there’s definitely a what. And that what is nasty y’all. Qing Ping Mui and Blond do beautiful, gruesome work on art & colors too. So far this story has shown me a pissed off dead deer, creepy ducks and a hint of Man’s Best Friend going awol on the teaser for the next issue. Fantastic concept, and I can’t wait to see where it leads. (4.5 out of 5)


Sixth Gun #34 (Oni Press)
Decapitated Dan: What’s that? You aren’t reading Sixth Gun? Even though it was a Ghastly Award, and has been one of the most consistent and amazing comics in the past 10-20 years? This issue of the Award Winning series was high on action, suspense and death! What I think Bunn does so well when writing this comic is his ability to combine so many different types of emotion and action, while never losing me with the pacing. To explain that better, he is able to slow the story down, then speed it up, then slow it down and make it all work so seamlessly. Hurtt’s artwork is also something to really applaud. He is so consistent on this book, and it always make my eyes happy. I know it say it over and over, and then over and over, but you really do need to read the Sixth Gun. It has everything you want could ever want in a comic, Heroes, Villains, Love, Drama, Mystery, Horror, Western, a Mummy, and so much more! READ THIS BOOK! - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0


Stitched #16 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: I know lately I have been telling you over and over how good the books coming from Avatar Press are, and it reflects in the reviews, but seriously he comes another. When I started reading this series with issue #1 it was good, but I didn’t keep up with it. However with the past few issues I am all in and I can not wait for more. I think what is happening is this book is beyond AGH-Mazing, and I really tip my decapitated head to Mike Wolfer! In this issue, we not only got to see the Stitched in action, but there was also this F^$#&!%* CREEPY ASS scene with a ghost! It makes sense though, it takes place in Japan, why not add a ghost. The artwork by Heinz is a thing of beauty. Let me refer back to the ghost scene, HOLY S#^! that was creepy. Let’s just sum it all up with a simple math equation ... Wolfer + Heinz = HOLY F^$#&!%* S#^! READ STITCHED! - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0


The Strain: The Fall #3 (Dark Horse)
Billy Dunleavy: Although the cover is slightly deceiving, you do get a lucha libre wrestler in the pages. He’s not the focus of this particular issue, but makes an impact nonetheless. The main focus, for sure, is the spreading of the vampires to other areas of the country. This is something that Ephraim, Vasiliy, and the Professor are very concerned about, and with good cause. We also learn of a certain book that these vampires fear, and it may hold the answer to wiping out the plague forever! Another great issue, and with nothing in its way to slow it down, this might be my book of the year!  Rating 5/5


Suckers #1 (Zenescope)
Decapitated Dan: I know that when I read #0, I was happy yet a little mad at this title. So after reading #1, I am nothing but happy. I love this book because it seems so innocent and yet is so R rated. It makes you think something is wrong with you because you should be saying “Awe they look so friendly” but instead you are saying “Eww, did he just (BLEEP) (BLEEP) in the (BLEEP) (BLEEP) and then (BLEEP) all over everyone?” Shand delivers with this fun, yet horribly wrong tale of two vampire buddies who eat more then you think any vampire should. The jokes are flowing throughout and it really is a fun read. McGinty though is the devious one. He makes you think you are looking at that innocent book, only to have you questioning your sanity a few panels later as body parts are flying and people are dying. This book is good, it’s fun and it’s just what I need when it comes to comics. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0


Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth #5 (Image)
Decapitated Dan: Oh Todd, you so silly. I loved the first 4 issues of this book so much. I thought that the writing was beyond solid, and the artwork was something that we all needed to take in and talk about around the fire. So when issue #5 gets put in front of my face, you better believe I am excited! Hats off to the awesome creative team for doing one of the best recap pages in comics. Kristensen has this knack for writing some of the most inappropriate stuff on the planet and making it funny. I think he secretly writes for Daniel Tosh and Anthony Jeselnik. While most of this issue I would probably just consider to be dark humor, he does include some good devil worshiping and a haunted table that devours a kid. Perker is still delivering on that artwork too. It just seems to innocent but then feels so wrong. Todd is a book for people who can take a joke and not be all serious in life. I love this title, and as long as this keeps up, I will continue too. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0


Who Needs the Moon #1 (Todd McCullough)
Decapitated Dan: Who needs the moon? I sure do! Wow what a find this book is going to be when you all stop reading this review and go read this book! First of all, McCullough will grab you right from the start as two people are running from something, and then... fade to black. That is the only spoiler you get people. This issue has a great mystery to it, I mean we know it’s a werewolf, but there is still so much more to learn about. The story is only half of this book though, so now allow me to tell you about the how GORE-Geous the artwork is. I can’t barley even sum up into words how great it is. I love the use of color in certain scenes, but then keeping things in black and white in others. I think that the Todd’s style is refreshing, and so needed to make this book all that much more special. Look I really don’t want to give anything away, but I really do want you to go out and get this book. You just have to trust your old pal Decap, this is a must read! - Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0