Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Horror Comic Roundup - 9/10/13

Horror Comic Roundup Image drawn by Travis Wayne Pursell, colors by Decapitated Dan

Welcome to the Horror Comic Roundup! Join Decapitated Dan,  Billy Dunleavy, Denise Dutton and friends each week as they review new and old Horror Comics that you will either be dying to read or terrified to check out!

Baltimore: The Infernal Train #1 (Dark Horse)
Billy Dunleavy: This is one of those series, that form its inception has kept a rabid pace. Mignola, Golden, Stenbeck, and Stewart, need to all be commended for this incredible series! We watch as Lord Henry Baltimore has made his way to Budapest. There, he means to confront Duvic the Inquisitor, and end his life before he can end Baltimore’s. Along the way though, he discovers a secret that another newcomer has, and it’s one of the most unbelievable he’s ever seen. Not only that, but he also inadvertently sees a high council of vampires meeting there as well!  Rating 5/5

Decapitated Dan:
Baltimore is back, and thank goodness this time we get a 3 issue arc instead of a one shot. I like the longer stories about LB much more then the short ones, and this issue will prove why. I think that the monsters/bad guys deserve some build, I don’t want to just be shown a monster and it’s death. So with this issue there is a great introduction to the town of Budapest and it’s inhabitants, as well as the train. However there is still some great mystery surrounding this train, which just makes me have to come back for me. Artwork is great as always, but that has just come to be expected. A great issue, that has me dying to read more. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

God is Dead #1 (Avatar)
Decapitated Dan: Hmmm.... I liked it, but I’m not really sure what to expect here. The way this issue started had me really excited, you have all of these “The End is Here” moments, and then some dude comes floating through the city  and the Zeus lets you know he has had enough. However as the issue went on more Gods began showing up, so that is what is confusing to me. All of these mythological gods are popping up, so I am looking forward to more explanation on them and how they are all existing on the same world. I think it might be safer to say this came across better as a zero issue, because it was enough to get me excited, but not enough just yet to have me hooked. The artwork is fantastic, and it really shows in the 2 pages where a newscaster is talking. I really liked how that scene was done. Overall, I liked it, but I need to read more to know how much I like it. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

Haunted Horror #6 (IDW)
Billy Dunleavy: These stories are sooooo good! If you’ve ever been interested in pre-code horror, you absolutely need to grab this series. You get such a myriad of stories in every issue, ranging from vampires, ghosts, zombies, murderous lovers, and so forth! The best story in this volume was definitely the one where this scientist discovered a formula to make animals smarter. He gets turned down by the government, and laughed at. Well, after feeding his formula to a few thousand rats, he gets the last laugh!  Rating 5/5 
Decapitated Dan: What is so funny to me, is how different Horror Comics have become in 60 years, and Haunted Horror is THE comic to remind us of that. A typical comic takes you what, 15 minutes to read on average, yet an issue of Haunted Horror will easily take you an hour. Now yes it is oversized, but still that is an extra 30 minutes of entertainment you are getting for less then the price of 2 comics. This bunch of stories even included a How-To on becoming a werewolf. I love that kind of stuff. My favorite stories of this bunch though were “Who Shall Inherit the Earth” and “Die Laughing”. I applaud the team of archivists who are putting these issues together. They are not only making this material accessible for future generations, but they are also showing how far Horror Comics have come over the years. This book is a MUST BUY for all Horror Comic fans. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Love Stories to Die For #1 (Image)
Decapitated Dan: Love and Horror, do they go hand in hand, or do the prove that a black heart has nothing to do with scaring us? Dirk Manning has teamed up with Owen Gieni and Rich Bonk to bring us 2 tales of Love and Death! In the first tale, “Bloodlust: Deceiver of the Gods” we follow some Vikings who have been tricked into fighting some vampires by those who should be good, but as it turns out they are not. I liked this tale, but I felt kind of upset on how it ended. I know what was going to happen, but I wanted to see it, not imagine it. Great fight scenes were what really grabbed me on this story. The second story I did like better, but I do admit I have a bias when it comes to Gieni’s artwork, because it is GORE-Geous! To understand this, all you need to do is look at the page with the monsters, oh man did my heart melt. This tale, “Symptom of the Universe”, is a Sci-Fi story that took a turn I wasn’t expecting, but I really liked it. I think that both stories were stronger on the art side of things, but both had this classic love/horror feel to them that screamed old school Horror Comics. This was a great read, and it’s a flip book! That’s win win if you ask me. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

The Mocking Dead #1 (Dynamite)
Decapitated Dan: In all seriousness, what the hell was this and why was it so enjoyable? You want to talk about a really odd yet appealing concept for the zombie genre, this is it. I loved that the government had a secret Hollywood branch, but I do think it is a BIG stretch that they ever had someone like Aaron Bunch working for them. Yes that is me being very picky about it which I shouldn’t be, because this comic is able to capture that perfect B-Movie mix of not going too far, but still being funny. Just look at the GORE-Geous scene where the guys meets the zombies runs, then has to come back to record it for YouTube. That sums it all up right there. It’s a fun and enjoyable read. All I hope is that it can keep the feel for the entire run of this mini. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Uber #5 (Avatar)
Decapitated Dan: This review is going to be easy to write.... GO READ THIS BOOK! If you need me to say more, fine I will but I ain’t spoiling nothing. This issue took this series above and beyond what I was expecting. No joke, I was thinking that it was going to take a right, and it took a hard left and left me sitting hear dying to see what comes next. All of this build for this big fight, and it happens, and oh the eyegasms began. White can draw the HELL out of some battle death scenes. Gillen seriously has me so hooked on this book. It just won’t stop slapping me in the face and demanding I read more and more. Now that you know all of that (not like I didn’t say it when I reviews issues #1-4) seriously... GO READ THIS BOOK! - Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0