Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Horror Comic Roundup - 9/3/2013

Horror Comic Roundup Image drawn by Travis Wayne Pursell, colors by Decapitated Dan

Welcome to the Horror Comic Roundup! Join Decapitated Dan,  Billy Dunleavy, Denise Dutton and friends each week as they review new and old Horror Comics that you will either be dying to read or terrified to check out!

Arcane Secrets #1 (Amigo Comics)
Decapitated Dan: All ages Lovecraft huh? Well it does work, but I still think you gotta know some Lovecraft outside of just Cthulhu to get everything. Now that being said, it’s very accessible, and it is fun for everyone. The artwork lends itself to the playfulness of the story very well. The jokes are funny, but outweighed by the visual gags. Svoboda really nails taking a complex universe and making it fun and playful for everyone. It even make it more interesting to the point where I want to go in and explore more Lovecraft work in my spare time. Great start. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

Crossed Badlands #35 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: Part 3 of this story arc, and initially it looks like the main character is going to take a turn for the better, and get along with these new humans. WRONG! Lapham is really delivering on this story. I mean it’s not the best Crossed arc ever, but it is very entertaining. I’m still 50/50 on the art of Ruiz, but to me the inks are just a little over done. So in a way I am kind of hoping this arc ends with the next issue, but it is a solid read overall. Look when it comes to Crossed stories, you always think in your head of the one thing that could be the worst possible outcome in terms of horror and gore, but then the book will just add 10 to that and make you question you morality. And that my friends is Crossed. - Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0





Extinction Parade #2 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: As a comic reader for about 20 years, the most difficult thing for me to do is read a prose book. I’m not used to it, I always wonder where the pictures are, and I wonder if that would really work. Enter Extinction Parade. I think it is safe to say by now that this book is going to read like a novel, but have artwork to accompany it, and yeah, it does work. Knowing that going into this issue, made it much easier to read than #1. I do like the artwork, and I think it works perfectly with the story. However since this does come across as a prose story, the story has to be the stronger element, and it is. I still love this concept, and in this issue, it just got me on board for even more. So if you can go into this knowing what to expect in terms of how it reads, then I think you could enjoy it as much as I do. - Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Fearless Dawn in Outer Space #1 (Asylum Press)
Decapitated Dan: WHAT ARE THOSE DAMN NAZI’S DOING ON THE MOON!!!! Who on Earth can save us? FEARLESS DAWN IS WHO!!! Before I can even talk about story I have to take like 2 sentences to talk about Steve Mannion’s artwork. It’s F@(#ING GORE-Geous! Let me repeat that... It’s F@(#ING GORE-Geous! It gets a 6 out of 5 for the artwork alone. So story wise, there are some Nazi’s on the moon and our quick to react hero Fearless Dawn is on the case. With all of the jokes and action that take place this book is just a solid read. This particular issue screams cheesy 60’s sci-fi movie. It has all of the right pieces to be perfect and it is. - Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Godzilla Rulers of Earth #3 (IDW)
Denise Dutton: Oh no.  It’s an SDCC spoof cover.  Or “Ultra Convention VII”, to quote the issue. I tend to get a not-good cold chill down my spine when I see a ‘Con issue.  Why?  Because they’re usually shoehorned into a perfectly good series with no rhyme or reason besides a shout-out to the nerds that are already reading anyway.  (Hear me roar for our people!)  Sending Kaiju to San Diego seems like a cheap way to grab attention, and the Monster At The Con scene feels forced.  But a beautiful half-page — and then full-page — drawing of Manda makes me feel all happy and warm inside.  Gezora is just ge-orgeous too (see what I did there?  Fine.)  I had my worries about this issue after the final page of #2, and I’m still not convinced that adding aliens to the mix is a good idea.  As it stands, this particular aliens-as-big-bad storyline feels more like Godzilla For Kids. Still, Mowry has me clamoring for #4 with his final page, and though Shawn Lee doesn’t seem to be allowed to unleash the glorious letters he’s been dropping on us in previous issues, the colors and art in this issue is still in mix with the best-of-the-best.  And is that Mothra I see in the teaser for the cover of #4?  Okay, I’ll follow where  you’re going.  (4 out of 5)



Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: No Tomorrow #1 (Zenescope)
Billy Dunleavy: “Death is a natural part of life, but what happens when it goes rogue”? This is the premise for Zenescope’s newest creation by writer Raven Gregory. What happens when Death herself starts roaming around everyday life. A man in the thick of corporate America is about to find out the answer to this question. A solid start to this new book, and also a very thoughtful dedication in the back to pay respect to a fallen loved one.  Rating 4/5

Decapitated Dan: “No Tomorrow” literally does this... it starts with and bang and then the fires just slowly die out. I mean that, the Denver Airport goes BOOM and then, it slowly moves forward. Now I will say this, the story does have it’s creepy moments, and a good mystery that will be unraveled, but I don’t think it was enough to keep me on board. Art-wise, it is just like the story, it has strong points but not enough to win me over. I mean come on, his kids look older then him. I can see potential here, but it’s just not being executed the way I think it should be. So for now I’ll pass. - Dying Breath 3.0 out of 5.0

Itty Bitty Hellboy #1 (Dark Horse)
Decapitated Dan: I’m not going to be super critical of this book because it’s all ages, with much more emphasis on the younger ages, but no totally not for me. I think that Baltazar’s artwork is amazing. It is a perfect style for this kind of story. The visual jokes are great, and never seem to miss a beat. My frowny face is with the writing. I just didn’t think it related to a level above 12 years old. Which is perfectly fine, because once again this is more for kids, but I was hoping to personally enjoy it more. So overall, I think it hits the right demographic, and that demographic is just not me. - Dying Breath 3.0 out of 5.0

John Carpenter’s Asylum #2 (Storm King Comics)
Decapitated Dan: Oh mama, where has this book been hiding! I could start with the art by Leo Manco and just say GORE-Geous! Then I could jump to the story by Bruce Jones and just say AGHH-Mazing! And like that the review could be over, however I need to say more, I need to tell you dear reader, that if you missed #1, you need to go find it and buy this issue too. I need to tell you that reading this book is like having the comic gods present you with all that you will ever need in a horror comic. I need to tell you that after reading this issue you will probably go around punching things in anticipation for issue #3 to come out. So why do I need to tell you all of that? Simple, this book is just that damn good! GO BUY THIS BOOK! - Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

King Conan: The Hour of the Dragon #4 (Dark Horse)
Billy Dunleavy: Horror readers really should read more Conan! There, I said it! You get blood & guts, wizards, witches, ghost, and otherworldly creatures, and when you have a solid creative such as this (Tim Truman, Tomas Giorello, Jose Villarrubia), it’s a can’t miss. On his journey, Conan rescues a witch, and she’s more than happy to summon an eagle to tear apart a crow that Orastes and Xaltotun were using to spy on him. She then allows Conan to rest at her home, but also gives him a grim warning about the forces that are against him. He departs to rouse his forces to stage a final battle for his life and his kingdom!

Kiss Kids #1 (IDW)
Denise Dutton: “You wanted the youngest, you got the youngest!” Oh Kiss. You complete me. Who knew rock could be so dang adorable? Behold: Li’l Demon, Starchild, Catkid, and Spacey. Little kids with a mission; rock out. There’s a ton of mini stories in here, kinda like Archie with leather. It’s strange, having the Kiss gang be little kids, but it works. I’ll be reading this to my 6-year-old nieces. One thing though; Cat will ALWAYS be Peter Criss, and Ace Frehley IS Spacey. Sorry new guys. (Luckily, this series only calls them by their alter ego monikers....) (4 out of 5)

The Last Zombie: The End #4 (Antarctic Press)
Decapitated Dan: Okay, 2 issues left (this being one of the two), and I’m thinking its going to be a nice easy read, things will just lead into the finale, and then I’ll just praise, praise, praise, but no one told Keene that. Instead when this issue shoulda gone straight, it took a hard right and then just blew my brains out. I’ve told you since day 1 that this series was going to be amazing, and it has been. And I’ll admit that this issue coulda played it safe, but it didn’t, and I F@(#ING love that it didn’t. The new twist one of the cast members is adding so much more to the drama plate, and I am foaming at the month for the next issue. The artwork by Chris Allen in this issue was so damn good, and it really all showed on just one specific page where some intestines appear to be being handled very delicately. I can’t say enough how great this ride has been, and I can only hope you go out and pick up this whole series. Now lets get them Kleenex ready for issue #5. - Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Lenore: Purple Nurples (Titan Books)
Decapitated Dan: I will give you 1 word, as to why you should own this book... you ready for it... here it comes... CREEPIG. That's right CREEPIG. This collection collects Lenore Vol. 2 issues #4-7, and it's not like I say this everytime I review another Lenore collection, but this could be the best of them all. Of course you start off with the amazing 2 part Creepig story, which by the way contains the greatest pork chop joke you will ever read/hear. This book also shows Lenore baking in the kitchen, a dead clown room, talking statues, and a trip through Hell. It REALLY DOES HAVE IT ALL. Now instead of me saying that you HAVE TO READ LENORE, I decided to get out the thesaurus and change it up a bit, so Hey get your hands on this amusing fiction compilation today! - Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Station to Station (Dark Horse)
Billy Dunleavy: For those of you that missed this story in Dark Horse Presents (shame on you if you did), you get to see this epic sci-fi/monster story by Gabriel Hardman (and Corinna Bechko) in its entirety in this one shot. A secret experiment at a facility on an island, one in which the results are less than positive, sets the scene for betrayal, action, and a giant monster! Great story, art, and cliffhanger!  Rating 5/5

Decapitated Dan: Hmm. . . I really have no idea what that was. I mean sure there were hints of good things scattered here and there, but the overall execution of this story just went flat for me. Which is odd because it starts off really great, but it was probably just too much of a thinker. I will give two thumbs up to the artwork though. I thought it was solid throughout, and that giant monster design was just GORE-Geous. However the story just lost me time and time again. It was like I came into a 3 issue arc on issue #3. - Dying Breath 3.0 out of 5.0