Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Deep Discussions with Decapitated Dan: Monty Borror


I recently had a chance to talk to Monty Borror, artist of Cradle of Filth: The Curse of Venus Aversa, about the upcoming OGN and more. Check it out:

Decapitated Dan: Hey Monty  thanks for taking time to talk with me about Cradle of Filth: The Curse of Venus Aversa . First of all lets talk about you. Who are you and what do you do?

Monty Borror: I’m an artist and writer living in San Francisco.  I’m originally from North Carolina/ Virginia and lived in Colorado for a decade before moving to the Bay area. I’ve worked on a number of books published by Markosia, Arcana and various other independent publishers.

DD: How did you find yourself getting into making comics?

MB: Comic books are what made me want to study art. I went to art school and college and got turned on more to fine art, oil painting etc. I ended up studying oil painting with Robert Venosa in Boulder, Colorado. But I started playing with the notion of getting back into comic books a few years ago. I started doing short stories for micro publishers for free. Then as I got better and more efficient I started getting a few paid gigs. It really just snowballed over the past five years or so.

DD: Now before we dive into it, what is the link to the Kickstarter?

MB: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cradleoffilth/cradle-of-filth-the-curse-of-venus-aversa

DD: So what can you tell me about The Curse of Venus Aversa? What’s it all about?

MB: It’s a period piece in the Victorian Era. It tells the story of Lord Daniel (who is being written as an ancestor of Dani Filth) as his life descends into a dark spiral after the untimely, and grisly, death of his fiance. The music and lyrics of Cradle of Filth serves as the launching point of the basic story.

DD: Who are the main characters?

MB: Lord Daniel Impudicus is the main character. Oscar Wilde is his friend and confidant. Edmund Strauss is the shopkeep along with his currently missing daughter Marie. Gabrielle is the deceased lover of Lord Daniel.

DD: How did you come on board this project?

MB: I applied for the job on Digital Webbing. I had the gig three weeks later.

DD: If you were to give this book a movie style rating (G, PG, PG-13, R,  X) what would it get, and why would you say that?

MB: A hard R. For sexuality and violence. Plus, y’know, it’s me drawing it.

DD: What are you hoping readers can take away from this story?

MB: First, that a rock band can produce a graphic novel with a real story. Not just a cash in vanity project. Kurt Amacker, who wrote the script, was adamant about that. On a personal note, I’m hoping to capture a real sense of dread in the tone of the art work. So the whole book kind of works on a slow build up.

DD: How crazy is it working with the amazing Cradle of Filth?

MB: Pretty damn crazy. I’m pinching myself still.

DD: What will set this book apart from other books done by bands?

MB: I think just the quality of story telling does more for this book than anything else.

DD:  Is this a series that you want to come back to in the future?

MB: It’s not a series. This book stands alone, but, if they ever asked I’d be happy to come back.

DD:  What was the most horrific thing that happened to you when you were working on this book?

MB: Well, I’m only halfway through it. So anything is possible.

DD: So what else are you working on comic wise? I hear you are a busy, busy man.

MB: I’m working on several other graphic novels. One called Chant of Human Dying, written with Michael Annis. Then I’m doing a book each for G.N. Braun and A.J Spedding. All of which should be complete by the end of the year.

DD: So where can readers find out more about Cradle of Filth: The Curse of Venus Aversa?

MB: The Cradle of Filth facebook fan page is a great place to start then my own fan page  facebook.com/pages/Montgomery-Borror as well as my website famouscomicartist.com

DD: So in summary give me a quick recap on Cradle of Filth: The Curse of Venus Aversa and why fans should give it a try.

MB: This book follows the great tales of gothic horror from the Victorian era. It is as literate and powerful as those great novels so many of us still cherish.  The story, based on the lyrics of Cradle of Filth, follows Lord Daniel Impudicus as he descends into a profound depression followed by a madness over the loss of his fiance. This among other events has him turning his attention back to the black arts and one book in particular: The Gospel of Filth.

DD: Thanks so much for your time Monty.