Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Beware... 5 Comics to be on the lookout for in June 2014!

Every month close to over 500 new Comic Books come out! That's a ton of new stuff for you to spend your money on, and lets face it, we're not all rich. So I've decided to make it a little easier on you and suggest 5 comics that you should spend your money on this month, as they all get the Decapitated Dan Rotting Thumbs Up. Let's take a look.

 Afterlife with Archie Vol. 1 (Archie Comics)
Why you should look out for it: This is the comic that almost swept the 2013 Ghastly Awards, and it’s now ready to collect the first story arc. I’m not an Archie fan, it’s not my thing. So when this was first announced I wanted to just pass on it and read something else. However when that first issue came out people kept saying how good it was, so I decided to take a look. This is not what I would expect to come from the house of Archie. It’s a  solid horror comic, and it has not let me down yet. This is something that will be on my must read list for years to come, and it’s only 5 issues in. Get in on this now before it is too late.


Fearless Dawn Hard Times: One Shot (Asylum Press)
Why you should look out for it: Two words should be all that is needed as to why you should be looking out for this, Steve Mannion. Steve’s artwork is something to drool over, and it’s not just because of the pretty ladies. His panels are GORE-Geous, and if you ask me, he needs to do more horror work. His writing is witty and smart, and overall that just makes this book the whole package. I honestly wish Fearless Dawn came out on a regular basis, because it’s always a great read. This is a one shot, so look for it when it comes out, you just might get hooked on it like me.



Enormous #1 (215 Ink)
Why you should look out for it: If you were lucky back in 2012 you were able to get your hands on a copy of this book, that just like it’s name says, is ENORMOUS! The story was fantastic, and I had always hoped that we would get treated to another volume at some point, and here it is. The same fantastic creative team is back, and that can only mean that this book is going to be just as good as it was two years ago. I am going to hope that this will be accessible to anyone who may have missed the first book. Look for this one to be on the Horror Comic Roundup at the end of the month for an update on that.

The Empty Man #1 (Boom!)
Why you should look out for it: Cullen Bunn is an amazing writer. His work on Sixth Gun, Helheim, Night of the Living Deadpool and The Remains (just to name a few) was always a homerun. So when I see that he has a new book coming out from BOOM! about a killer disease and cults, well I’m sold. Add to the mix artist Vanesa R. Del Rey, whose work is so damn good, and you have two solid reasons why this book will be a winner. I love the concept, and can not wait to see what this first issue has to offer.

Wildfire #1 (Image)
Why you should look out for it: Now I’m going to come right out and say I don’t think this one is going to be horror, however it has something, or rather someone, that has me needing to read this, Matt Hawkins. Matt is a brilliant writer, just look at Trip Tank, who has yet to write something I don’t fall in love with. This concept of writing about genetically modified food consumption might sound strange, but Matt puts a lot of work into his research and that translates to some really indepth story telling that can’t be missed. The pages by Linda Sejic look animated and painted at the same time, and that just makes my eyes melt. I can not wait to have this issue in my hands.