Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Horror Comic Roundup - June 2014

Horror Comic Roundup Image drawn by Travis Wayne Pursell, colors by Decapitated Dan

Welcome to the Horror Comic Roundup! Join Decapitated Dan and Friends at the end of each month as he reviews new and old Horror Comics that you will either be dying to read or terrified to check out!

16-Bit Zombie (Antarctic Press)
Decapitated Dan: Picking up where 8-Bit Zombie left off, this story never misses a beat. It’s a great solid read from start to finish, and that finish is a huge cliffhanger that makes me need what comes next right now. I love taking the Wreck it Ralph concept and adding zombies into it. This is more fun then should be allowed, and it’s worth every penny. Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0


2000AD #1883-1886 (2000 A.D.)
Traumatown (Judge Dredd) storyline
Southern Sensation: Something’s going on in the good Judge’s head. Are they really happening, or is he going crazy? Placed on medical-leave, the visions continue, but he is taken out of the action. At least officially. He’s seeing zombies. He’s seeing demons. Are they for real? I don’t know, but we get to look at some GOREgeous zombies, demons, and just art in general, from the ultra talented Nick Percival! Rating: 5/5

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth #120 (Dark Horse)
Southern Sensation: No matter how many times I try to give this title a shot with a new story arc, it just seems unaccessable to me. Two stories are going on here. The power has been lost in the HQ and things get a little creepy in the dark. And a professor is reading a file on a man in question and it flashes us back to an earlier time when Hellboy was just a teen, joining in on the investigation. This book has a very creepy atmosphere. I will stick around for Part 2. Rating: 3.5/5

Caliban #3 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: Do comics get any better then this? HELL THE F#^% NO THEY DON’T!!!! This series is blowing me away. With only 3 issues in, I am beyond creeped out, and sooooo ready for more. Ennis is constructing one hell of a tale, but the majority of my love for this issue goes to Percio. Those last few pages were so brutal, and so eye meltingly GORE-Geous. It’s still early, and I’m still warning you... DO NOT MISS THIS SERIES!!!! Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Constantine #15 (DC)
Southern Sensation: There is no horror here. This book (at least this issue) is very magic-y. Gone are the demonic forces and happenings so disturbing and twisted that it leaves you in silence with a sick smile on your face. If you can put yourself into a magic mindset, Ray Fawkes tells a good story. Aco’s art is gross. These aren’t the droids we’re looking for. Rating: 3/5

The Cursed and the Damned (N.A.S. Studios)
Decapitated Dan: I love me some werewolves, and man did this book have tons of them! Right out of the gate I was introduced to a problem, and then the rest off the issue was based on the solution. Well kind of at least. The artwork is AGH-Mazing, and it never lets up. The werewolves look FANG-Tastic on every page. The story has some bite to it, and I loved where it went. It’s only going to take off from here. A great start, now give me more!! Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Edgar Allan Poe’s Morella and the Murders in the Rue Morgue (One-Shot) (Dark Horse)
Southern Sensation: Two crazy Poe stories drawn by Richard Corben. It was really great to look at. ‘Nuff said. Rating: 4.5/5

The Empty Man #1 (BOOM!)
Decapitated Dan: What the hell did I just read, and where the hell can I get some more! The intro church scene had me saying meh, but then BAM! Crazy guy in shower, cocoon person on wall, mystery builds, action scene takes place and then the WTF! cliffhanger. Oh man, now that is a first issue done right! Bunn and Del Rey got a great start here, and I can only pray it’s keeps up with this level of amazing. Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Southern Sensation: Cullen Bunn and Vanesa R. Del Rey have cooked up a tale that is quite deliciously disturbing to me. They give us just a little taste and leave us hungry for more, not wanting the issue to be over as we reach the last page. It’s been a long time since a comic has made me want more before it was over. I definitely didn’t feel empty after reading The Empty Man. Rating: 5/5

Fubar: Better Red than Dead (Fubar Press)
Decapitated Dan: To me an issue of Fubar is like ice cream. I don’t get to have it too often, but when I do, damn do I enjoy the hell out of it. This issue focuses on early days of the Cold War, and it was done so right. The 4 creative teams just nailed it in terms of writing and artwork. Every story had me hooked. I have fallen in love with the art of Lesley Vamos too, it’s GORE-Geous on the Smuggler story. Any Fubar issue is a steal for $4, and this one is no exception. A perfect mix of Horror and War. Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

God is Dead #14 (Avatar Press)
Southern Sensation: Missing out on the first 13 issues, I don’t know why I grabbed this one. But there was all kinds of nice kill scenes and people being mauled by Jaguars. And heads blown in half. And boobies. Makes me hunger for the first 13 issues. Rating: 3/5

King Tut: Truck Driving Pharaoh #1 (Trauma Comics)
Decapitated Dan: What did I just read? It was so off the wall, so bizarre and yet so god damn enjoyable. This book screams Grindhouse, and pulls it off so well. If it were a movie I’d pray that it would be covered on MST3K, because it’s so odd, yet deserves praise. The team behind this one did their homework, and just put together a winner. It’s solid and fun, and worth checking out. Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Rise of the Blood Queen #1 (Bloody Gore Comix)
Decapitated Dan: I freaking LOVE Zombie Commandos from Hell books. They have this feel of the late 80s and early 90s, that just bring me back to everything I love about horror. The story by Steph Dumais is fantastic. Like I mentioned, it has this 80s vibe to it, it’s post apocalyptic and retro at the same time. It’s disturbing and troubling, and this is all just a build to explain where the Blood Queen came from. The artwork is GORE-Geous! Dumais split up art duties between himself, Mike Bauman, Adam Geyer, Walter Sablotny, Mark K Allen and Croc Dave. Each artist has their own style, yet it came together so well here. Personally I’ve not hear of Mike Bauman before, but he is on my radar now. This was a great read from start to finish. I do highly suggest that if you pick this one up, you buy yourself all 3 of the covers. Look it up, you’ll see why. Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Sin of Omniscience #2 (Odd 19 Studios)
Southern Sensation: A girl that can dream the future. And gets chased by wolf-things and tripped out possessed-type people. Did I mention she can dream the future? And she’s friends with other psychics like her. This is good! And the art is really pretty! But waiting until Fall 2014 to read more? NOOOOOOOOOO! I hope I don’t forget about this book! Did I mention it’s good? Rating: 4.5/5

Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose #86 (Broadsword Comics)
Southern Sensation: I have never read this title before. It’s like ARCHIE, only with boobs. And other parts. It’s got good art and funny stuff. Not bad. Curious to read an arc. Also: I like Boo Cat! Rating: 3.5/5

The Thing That Came from Outer Space or Something (Cheese Lord Comics)
Decapitated Dan: You want to talk about an off the wall, high octane, Sci-Fi, action packed thrill ride all over trying to figure out some HTML.... then look no further cause this book has it all. Angel Onofre delivers in this self contained issue, so many laughs, tears,scares and thrills that you’ll be begging for more. The artwork is fantastic, and the story has me hooked. It’s a very safe bet that I’ll be looking out for anything he works on in the future. This was a home run. Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

The Twilight Zone Annual 2014 (Dynamite)
Southern Sensation: Be careful how you treat those less fortunate. Be careful what you wish for. Be sure to stay up to date with social media. Because things could be different...in The Twilight Zone.
I didn’t really care for any of the three artists’ work in this annual, but Mark Rahner told three entertaining stories that made me not care that I didn’t really like the art. It takes a good writer to do that. I think I will look into more of his work. Rating: 4/5

The Wicked + The Divine #1 (Image)
Southern Sensation: I am not real sure what is going on here just yet. Some kind of reincarnation, maybe. But there are quite a few exploding heads going on and Jamie McKelvie makes those warm, squishy head squirts look pretty good. I think I will stick around for a while and see what writer Kieron Gillen (ÜBER. Good stuff!) has up his sleeve! Rating: 3.5/5