Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Horror Comic Roundup - July 2014

Horror Comic Roundup Image drawn by Travis Wayne Pursell, colors by Decapitated Dan

Welcome to the Horror Comic Roundup! Join Decapitated Dan and Friends at the end of each month as he reviews new and old Horror Comics that you will either be dying to read or terrified to check out!

2000 AD #1887 (2000 AD)
Traumatown (Judge Dredd)
Southern Sensation: One last look at Nick Percival’s stunningly nightmarish creatures as this story wraps up. Does painted art in comics get any better than Percival’s? I would love to see him on more stuff that’s more accessable to us ‘mericans, besides those beautiful covers for BOOM! Studios’ HELLRAISER series! [A Note from The Southern Sensation: The conclusion to “Indigo Prime” featured a SWEET looking Cthulhu!] Rating: 4/5

All New Ghost Rider #4 (Marvel)
Decapitated Dan: Sadly I’m so far behind on reading that I missed 2 & 3, but still read this one. It’s solid, really solid. I love the art, the story is fun and it’s a good read. I’m gonna go play catch up now. Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

American Vampire: Second Cycle #4 (Vertigo Comics)
Southern Sensation: There was so much hopelessness in this issue. And just barely escaping the Gray Trader and his horde of strong, nasty creatures just intensified the emotions. And something is really wrong with Skinner. American Vampire is as good as it’s ever been and just reminded me why I love it so much. Rating: 4.5/5

Caliban #4 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: This series just gets better and better with every single issue. I always think the intensity is at it’s max, but nope, I’m wrong again. Ennis has crafted a Sci-Fi/Horror masterpiece here, and it’s not letting up. When you top that off with the GORE-Geous artwork of Percio, you have one of the top 5 comics in print today. Fans of The Thing, Alien, Event Horizon and Pandorum neeeeeeeed to be reading this, the rest of you are just privileged to have the chance. Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Southern Sensation: Between Karien peeling his own skin off and ripping more crew members apart, CALIBAN is one badass space horror comic! I am going to put off my plans for space-travel for awhile. I don’t want my ship to get merged with a weird alien ship and let Garth Ennis and Facundo Percio to have their way with me. I like being in one piece. Rating: 4/5

Chastity #1 (Dynamite)
Decapitated Dan: I was never a big fan of the sexy super horror girls that were large on the scene in the mid to late 90’s, so I didn’t expect too much going into this book. I’m actually still shocked that I enjoyed it as much as I did. I really like the twist of making the authors of the famous vampire books vampires themselves. It adds a unique take to it. Then you add in the tragedy of the characters life and it gives it all meaning and good depth. The art work also shinned, and I enjoyed the take on the vampire look, very Fright Night. Overall, not what I expected, and I enjoyed the start. Looking forward to what comes next.  Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

Clive Barkers Nightbreed #2 (BOOM!)
Decapitated Dan: I’m going to be honest, and say this is not for me. I think issues #1 and 2 should have been combined into a single oversized issue, and it might have made this more appealing. Look I enjoyed the original series back in the 90’s, I just don’t see why it needed to come back. It’s not for me, that’s all I can really say. Dying Breath 2.0 out of 5.0

Crossed Badlands #56 (Avatar)
Decapitated Dan: Take a bow team, just take a bow. This arc reads better as a whole, trust me, I just read it. The way it explains, and then all comes together, oh man was it good. Crossed only gets better and better, but this arc... is going to be a very, very tough act to follow. Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Death Vigil #1 (Image)
Decapitated Dan: Sometimes when you read a solicit for a book it can be completely off, and that was the case with Death Vigil. I’m not saying what was solicited won’t come true at some point, but the solicit for this book should have said, “Just read it!” The story is a fantastic mix of magic and death, mostly because this deals with the Grim Reaper and her team. The story moves at a fantastic pace, and just gets more interesting as it goes on. As you would expect from Sejic, the artwork is GORE-Geous. Overall this one was great, and a perfect start to this series. I can not wait for more! Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

The Empty Man #2 (BOOM! Studios)
Southern Sensation: More bizzare deaths and a mystery with no explanation, still. Once again, I am hooked on a Cullen Bunn book! Rating: 4/5

Enormous #1 (215 Ink)
Decapitated Dan: I’m not sure this picks up where the last story left off, and that’s not a bad thing. It’s been a while since that issue, so rereading it is t always an option. Luckily this is 100% safe to pick up. The story is fan, action packed and scary. I love the concept and how it played out here. The art is still drop dead GORE-Geous. This is worth every penny. Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

The Extinction Parade: War #1 (Avatar)
Decapitated Dan: This book is so different then 99% of all the comics out there. This is a prose story being told beautifully through pictures. The artwork is mesmerizing. I could seriously look at Caceres’ work all day long, and it probably has to do a lot with the huge amount of gore. I mean that is a lot of zombies. The story itself is unique, and very entertaining. I love that the vampires are having to fight to save the humans, if only to make sure their food source doesn’t run out. Overall this is a MUST READ. It’s so different from the rest of the pack, and so damn good. Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Southern Sensation: So, Max Brooks knows zombies. I guess. He sold a buncha zombie books. He went on tv and argued zombies vs vampires with Steve Niles, and lost. So, now he is writing vampires, too. But he’s doing it wrong. Vampires are dead, too. No circulation. So, they are already cold. So why did vampire chick complain of her arm being cold when the zombieness was crawling up her arm from an open wound? Then she felt the warmth returning as the zombieness was being “washed out”? And if zombieness can be washed out, why didn’t they just wash Hershel’s leg on “The Walking Dead”, instead of cutting it off? And this is a war? The zombies are not attacking the vampire chicks. The vampire chicks were walking right next to the zombies. They were smashing zombie heads for no reason. Rating: 1/5

The Goon: One for the Road (Dark Horse)
Decapitated Dan: I had the honor and privilege to work on restoring a Jack Davis book once, and it made me fall madly in love with him. Powell must feel the same way because this book is full of Davis love. The story is typical Goon gold, but hats off to the art here. Eric’s homage to all things Jack shines on every page, and having Jack do the cover is what takes it over the top. Great issue, but damn glorious tribute too. Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Hack/Slash: Son of Samhain #1 (Image)
Southern Sensation: I have tried Hack/Slash several times over the years. Here, some underground monsters are trying to ressurect a monster god. An old dude talks Cassie into rejoining the fight against evil. There’s a bat with nails in it. There’s squishy monsters dying in squishy ways. There’s not a weird, talking demon-dog-thingy in it this time. Hack/Slash just isn’t for me. Maybe it’s for you. Rating: 3/5

John Carpenters Asylum #6 (Storm King)
Decapitated Dan: The first arc is over, and HOLY $!*% was it good! I hope this creative team knows how high they just set the bar for themselves. The story itself is fast paced, in your face, fantastic action/drama/horror tale that just leaves you needing more. I loved the introductions to everyone in this arc. I can only imagine where it will all go from here. It’s such an open book, and it’s still safe to get on board now. Oh and did I mention again how GORE-Geous that Leonardo Manco, Kinsun Loh and Janice Chiang make these pages look! Hands down a comic you need to be reading right now, and this is only just the beginning. Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Southern Sensation: Wow! This comic is just so dark and moody. But, then the colors pop with vibrance when they need to! Such a beautiful book! Manco is killing it here! Kudos to Sandy King and Trent Olsen, on the writing, too! This was just a badass issue! Rating: 5/5

The Last Broadcast #2 (BOOM!)
Decapitated Dan: Now this is a mystery and a half. With the first issue there was some good build, but it wasn’t until this issue that it really took off for me. The writing does some jumping at the start of the issue, but when you get to the end, it just adds to more of that mystery I was talking about. I love the artwork here too. I will say that there are some panels in the issue that have me scratching my head, but overall, it’s really eye catching stuff. I’m excited to see what comes next, and really glad I gave this one a chance. I highly recommend that you do the exact same. Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Lenore v2 #10 (Titan)
Decapitated Dan: Just when I thought the best joke in the history of ever had happened in the last issue, here it comes again... and again... and again. What sucks here was the lack of a recap page. The time between issues sucks, and well right now a great story arc is taking place, so a recap would be nice. However I know that it’s part of Dirge’s diabolical plan to have me go back and enjoy the living hell out of issues 8 & 9 again. So touché good sir, you win. The artwork is stunning, the story is above and beyond everything else. Lenore is a must read for everyone, anyone and two aliens sitting on a branch somewhere in Iowa. It delivers time and time again, and seriously... just go read it. Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Southern Sensation: One of the things I have missed about doing TALES FROM THE WATER COOLER (Water CoolAH!) is this little girl, right here. Lenore. I was laughing so hard, I was in tears. No other comic book can do that to me. No other comic book can make a bear’s butthole SO funny. If you read comic books and don’t read Lenore...we can’t be friends. Unless you let me play your Nintendo 64. Rating: INFINITY/5

Loving Dead OGN (Humanoids)
Decapitated Dan: Ahhh, love is in the air... at least it is for these two zombies. Loving Dead has a very cinematic feel to it. The story is very well done when you look at it as a whole. I do think that there were some spots where things seemed to jump around, but overall it’s solid. I would also call this more of a romantic action book over horror, because it had some intense scenes at the end. The artwork is fantastic. Stefano Raffaele delivers page after page, and makes this one amazing book to look at. Overall I highly enjoyed this book, and think if Action and Romance is your thing, you will too. Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

Man of God #1-5 (Pinwheel Press)
Decapitated Dan: it’s going to be hard to sum this one up in a short review, but here goes... GO READ THIS BOOK! Craig Partin is crafting a story for the ages. It’s more in depth then 95% of what I see on comic shelves right now, and it such a solid story. Now keep in mind that I was fortunate enough to be able to sit down and read issues 1-5 all at once. So I can’t say that reading one at a time is as much fun. However if everytime a new issue came out I got a chance to reread these, it’d be worth it. The art team on the main story of Yvel Guichet and Stu Berryhill, is killer. These two create one GORE-Geous page after another. I love this concept of religious end of the world stuff, mixing in with a great mystery. I’ll say this, it’s not horror, but it don’t need to be here, cause I’m hooked. This is a series you should throw your money at, I know I will from here forward. Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Nailbiter #3 (Image)
Southern Sensation: HOLY CRAP, Y’ALL! The middle of this book was CREEPY AS HELL! Well played, Nailbiter crew! Well played! Rating: 4.5/5

Outcast #1 (Image/Skybound)
Southern Sensation: I have always been a fan of Robert Kirkman’s writing. Here, isn’t a place for arguments. He’s done a lot more than just THE WALKING DEAD. Over the years, I have enjoyed MARVEL ZOMBIES, THE IRREDEEMABLE ANT-MAN, and THE ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN. I have also heard INVINCIBLE is pretty good, but I haven’t tried it. So, with all the fun I have had with Kirkman, I certainly was going to give OUTCAST a try. I also used to be very vocal about hating Paul Azaceta’s art. He wasn’t (and still isn’t) an artist for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. I always thought he was more suited for reality-based comics. Then came along, GRAVEYARD OF EMPIRES. I loved his art and I was right! He is better for the reality-based stuff. Demon possession? That stuff is pretty real. I was excited to check out this book and I am glad I did. Kirkman. Azaceta. Demon possession. Let’s do this! What a good, creepy first issue! Rating: 4/5

The Phantom Stranger #21 (DC Comics)
Southern Sensation: A lot, and I mean, A LOT of the dialogue... ...and inner monologue... ...was just like... ...THIS. It was verry annoying... ...and boring. It’s no wonder this book is... ...ending. Rating: 2/5

Plants vs. Zombies: Timepocalypse #1 (Dark Horse)
Southern Sensation: Having never played the game, I can’t believe I just read an issue of Plants vs. Zombies. I can’t believe I spent the whole issue trying not to laugh. I can’t believe I was unsuccessful. I dare you to read this. I dare you not to laugh. Rating: 4/5

Rachel Rising #26 (Abstract Studios)
Decapitated Dan:  Oh look, another great issue, what else should I expect from my favorite comic? Do yourself a favor, just go get issue 25 and 26. Read them, take them in, hold them close... it’s as a simple as that. You’ll be hooked, you’ll grab the first 4 trades and then we can all hold hands and sing about how good Rachel Rising is (song coming next time). Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Southern Sensation: Oh, crap! It may be a new arc in this MAGNIFICENT, BEAUTIFUL, INCREDIBLE series, but not everyone from the recent past is finished. Or, dead... Rating: 4.5/5

Revenge #1-4 (Image)
Decapitated Dan: I’m sooooooooooo mad at myself for only knowing about this series after the last issue came out. This is a book I would have praised and praised, but now all I can do is tell you to go read it all collected. The story is off the wall action packed fun. Everything is bizarre and odd, and it just melts my mind. It’s like Oldboy (the original, not that Spike Lee debacle) in how it twists and turns on... you guessed it, revenge. The art by Churchill is bloody GORE-Geous, emphasis on the bloody too. This was just a winner from the start, and man was it amazing! If your sick, twisted and looking for the little something extra to enjoy, this is the book you must read. Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Spread #1 (Image)
Decapitated Dan: Oh baby, that was good! The storytelling on this issue had me confused at the start, because the main characters name is No, but within 4 pages I was beyond hooked. I thank Kyle Strahm for that. Just look at the 3 panels where the eyes turn into monsters, it’s GORE-Geous! This story seems to have some great layers to it. Think J.C.’s The Thing meets Children of Men (two movies I just love). The pacing was perfect, the build was perfect... It was perfect! Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Southern Sensation: This thing is like SAGA and a creepy out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-but-there-is-lots-of-creepy-awesome-monsters-everywhere movie! Oh, and “Heroes”! Only, “Save the baby, save the world!” GET ON BOARD! Rating: 5/5

Swamp Thing #33 (DC Comics)
Southern Sensation: Not even demons demons can handle the Avatar of the Green. They give up and return the bounty money. At least they are respectable demons! Charles Soule is writing a really entertaining series! Rating: 4/5

The Twilight Zone #6 (Dynamite)
Southern Sensation: I liked issue #5. A lot. The story continues this month and it had a different feel than what I had expected from the build I got. The story turned weird. I know it is The Twilight Zone and it is supposed to be weird, but this is a different kind of weird. It was boring. Dry. Dull. It felt like a Zenescope book and not something from the legendary JMS. I am not sure if I will put myself through #7. Rating: 2/5

Uber #15 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: Imagine that in front of you is a piece of apple pie. You love apple pie, and it can’t get any better then this, right? Wrong. Someone just entered the room with some ice cream, now you get pie and ice cream! It’s heaven on earth for your mouth. Well that is exactly what Uber #15 just did for this title. It was perfect the way it was, but now we have an added element to make it even more exciting! The addition of the Blitzmensch, just take this even further into how deep this story will go. I can’t praise this book enough. Hell I even took 2 issues off from doing a review, and all I still want to say is how much I love it. You have to read this, you really, really do. It’s beyond words good, and it will only get better. Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0