Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Hellblazer #283 – Review



Issue: Hellblazer #283
Writer: PETER MILLIGAN
Artist: GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and STEFANO LANDINI
Publisher: Vertigo
Release Date: September 2011
Pages: 32
Price: $2.99

“New storyline: “The Devil’s Trenchcoat.” When Gemma Masters punishes her uncle by auctioning off his trench coat, she ignites a horrific chain of events. Now Constantine must adjust to life without his smelly old coat, while its new owner’s life turns inside out.”

Dying Breath: 4.5 out of 5
While I do still consider myself new to the world of Hellblazer, I do find it to be easily accessible, and when I say new to the world I mean the past 5 issues. This issue begins the look at the mysteriously intriguing trench coat that has donned the shoulders of Constantine for years and years. I think Milligan does an amazing job on this issue giving the coat itself a voice along with the regular cast. More spooky and mysterious problems arise  around John while he is without his garment, but that is the fun of it. The concept here is just fun to deal with, and they give it a great back story as to why it might be happening. I really enjoy the artwork of Camuncoli and Landini, their back and forth style plays well with the storyline. Of course how can anyone not enjoy a GORE-geous cover by Bisely, even if it is John in his underwear sitting on the washer. Overall I am really thinking I missed out picking up this series so far down the line. This issue is a great start to the new arc and I can not wait to see where it goes. Ton’s of supernatural fun all around.

Artwork: 4.0 out of 5  • Story: 4.5 out of 5
If you would like to buy or know more about Hellblazer you can find it at http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/