Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Horror Comic Roundup - 10/13/2014

Horror Comic Roundup Image drawn by Travis Wayne Pursell, colors by Decapitated Dan

Welcome to the Horror Comic Roundup! Join Decapitated Dan each month as he reviews new and old Horror Comics that you will be dying to read and terrified to check out!

68: Homefront #2 (Image)
Decapitated Dan: The best Zombie Comic in the shelves is back, and it’s hitting home this time. This issue wraps up the “Peece and Love” two issue arc, and god damn was it good. I mean we shouldn’t even be able to say the word good anymore when it comes to ‘68, because it’s over used at this point. Kidwell just brought it on this story. I even felt a hint of Twin Peaks in there (keep in mind I’ve only seen the first 5 episodes) but I think I picked it up. The winner winner chicken dinner on this and issue #1 though was the artwork of Kyle Charles. Holy Shit Horror Fans... this man has got it. Mix in the colors of Jay Fotos and guess what... PERFECTION! I’ve said it before, and I say it over... and over... and over... READ ‘68!!! Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0


Caliban #7 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: I’m sad... really sad... I don’t want this series to end. This book was pure perfection, and it was all brought together with this issue. I loved the mystery, and of course the horror, that took place here. Ennis wrote one hell of a tale, and I can only hope that we will see more of it in the future. UGH.... I am so sad I want more now! The artwork of Percio was just drop dead GORE-Geous throughout the whole series. Perfection, is the perfect word for this series... PERFECTION. Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

Chastity #2 (Dynamite)
Decapitated Dan: you know what I don’t like about this book? The covers. They have almost nothing to do what is going on on the inside pages. Sex sells though, so be that what it will, but it really takes away from what is going on here. The story is fun, mysterious and action packed. I can not wait to see what happens next, as this builds into something worthwhile. I actually fear the days that come when Chastity dons those horrible outfits that she is shown in on the cover. The vampires in this are given great twist, and it only adds to it that they look like those in Fright Night. Overall I am really enjoying this new series, and I can only hope it continues along this path. Just for the love of all that is comic goodness, stop with the lame covers. Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

Rachel Rising #27 (Abstract Studios)
Decapitated Dan: the most amazing comic on the shelves continues to shine with this great setup issue. There are so many directions to go now that we are in the second arc, and Moore is just making this tale deeper and deeper. On one side we have Rachel looking into her murder, then other the other we have a new twist in the story of Zoe. Not to be overlooked though is what is happening on the other foot with Aunt Johnny and this fantastic serial killer build up. But wait... On the other foot we have the love of Earl for Jet coming into focus better. That’s a four layer cake people! This book continues to impress, and all I ever do is wonder why every single comic reader out there is not reading this one too. Once again.. say it with me now... BEST COMIC BOOK IN PRINT! Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

The Rage Vol. 1 (Titan)
Decapitated Dan: Zombie Children huh? SOLD! The Rage brings a new look to a genre that is getting a little run down. Think 28 Days Later, and just replace all the infected with kids. I love the take, and the way that this issue was done. Now I want to kind of spoil things, but I don’t at the same time. Just know that only kids are able to get the disease and when they hit puberty their immune system works it out. So in a bleak looking world children are crazy scary. This book is an import, and I do need to say I found a few issues with the translation, but nothing major. The story by Pierre Boisserie is original, and the artwork by Malo Kerfriden is GORE-Geous. I highly enjoyed this book and I can not wait to see what comes next. Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Sabrina #1 (Archie Comics)
Decapitated Dan: Witches... I don’t get witches. I love what Sabrina is up to in the Afterlife with Archie series, and that is such a huge success, that of course I am on board for this one. This issue though was a BIG setup. Of course it was necessary, I mean who really knows Sabrina outside of what Mellisa Joan Hart brought to the small screen right, but the good horror style moments were few and far between. The issue did end on a really nice cliffhanger, so for now... I am on board for more. The artwork was fantastic too, a real highlight to the issue. Witches though... I just can’t seem to get into that character genre. Time will tell. Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0

Uber #16 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: I just can not get over how much I LOVE THIS BOOK! The concepts that Gillen is coming up with just continue to blow my mind. This issue added in a new character, Vernon, who ties into the amazing Harlem Hellfighters book. This small touch just floors me. I love it! The story here progresses perfectly, as things seem to just get bleaker for the Allies. Everytime you think they will take a step forward, the Germans take two. The addition of the different Tank levels, mixed with the strong cast, just make this book a MUST READ. I wish this book was weekly, it’s so damn good, and it needs to be read by everyone! Dying Breath 5.0 out of 5.0

War Stories #1 (Avatar Press)
Decapitated Dan: WOOO HOOO! I love me some War Comics, and the fact that this one is coming from the same house of Uber and written by Garth Ennis can only mean 1 thing... it’s gonna be good. The issue follows a young Air Force Lieutenant as he goes off to England on his first tour. We get introduced to his group, and then build up to the first mission. I think if you are looking for some good war action scenes, this might not appease you yet since it was a good build issue. However if you are like me, and want to see all sides of things in terms of war it’s perfect. The ending was a huge shocker, and I felt great way to pull me into this series. I can not wait to see what comes next, so I will wait very impatiently. A great start, and I can only hope that this series will cover the other 3 branches of the military in the war (Army, Marines, Navy). Dying Breath 4.5 out of 5.0

Wytches #1 (Image)
Decapitated Dan: Witches... I don’t get witches. (Yeah I used this line already so what.) This issue had some really nice moments, but to me they were too far apart from each other. Great start to the issue with that opening scene, but then it turns into a build of who is who and what is what, ending at a good cliffhanger. However, I just don’t think it was for me. For a first issue it does a great job of setting things up, but again... witches are not my thing. Time will have to tell on this one. I will come back for #2, but this series might just fade for me like Coffin Hill did. Dying Breath 4.0 out of 5.0