Posted by Decapitated Dan |

Decapitated Dan's Best of 2014: Metal Albums #20 - #11

Well it’s the end of the year, and what better way to recap it than by making a list! So check out what Metal Albums I liked best in 2014!

____________________________________

Now I am by no means a music expert, I just love Metal. I'm not a music reviewer by any means, however in 2013 I started a little podcast called Monsters & Metal. On this monthly show I get a chance to play some amazing music from all over the globe. So continuing what I started last year I figured let's make a Top 10 Albums list, except this year... I have a Top 35!

Let's get this next group announced already! Here are #20 - #11.
Click here to see #35 - #21.

#20: Carnifex – Die Without Hope (Nuclear Blast Records)

I really don't recall when it was that I started to listen to Carnifex, but damn am I glad I did. This album has that edge to it, that just makes me want to fuck some things up. It's intense and always balls to the wall. A perfect pump you up album to go break some shit.


#19: Reap - Neckbreak Hotel (Noisehead Records)

Neckbreak Hotel is a solid album from start to finish. I really enjoyed every single track on this one. While I am no music expert, I would say that this album has a great Thrash/Metal Core feel to it. I could be wrong, but what do I care, I loved it. 


#18: Nothgard - Pandora (SMP-Records)

Back in the day I was a big fan of Children of Bodom. However I did grow tired of them. I think it's safe to say that Nothgard has a similar sound to those early COB albums, but they add in their own style to that sound. Fantastic stuff, and you can consider me on board for whatever comes next. 


#17: Widek - Outside the Universe (Widek Records)

Sometimes I just want to sit down and relax by turning on some nice ambient metal, and Widek is perfect for doing just that. The album, much like the artwork, is cosmic. It could be perfect for background noise, but has enough to it to make you turn them speakers up to 11 because it's so damn good. 


#16: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings (Razor To Wrist)

DFD is back and you better believe it's on my list. I love this band, always have and always will. The Metal/Jazz sound is so needed for my ears and this album does not disappoint. Add to the fact that I am a junkie for Todd Smith vocals, and well it's a no brainer that this one is on my list.


#15: In Flames - Siren Charms (Sony Music)

Now if you know me, you know that In Flames is my favorite band. So why aren't they in the Top 10? Well that easy to answer, while I LOVE this album, I don't personally consider it to be full on Metal, like I have in the past. Make no mistake about it, I think Anders Fridén is the greatest lead singer ever, but this album was a little soft. Still it's always in my rotation. In Flames I Trust!


#14: Right to the Void - Light of the Fallen Gods (Wormholedeath)
 
Two of my favorite bands are Heaven Shall Burn and Neaera, and Right to the Void is that perfect mix of both. If you haven't heard them before, I would even say they border on the Black Dahlia Murder side a little (but I enjoyed the much more). This is a Deathcore band that I have to hear more from.


#13: Revocation - Deathless (Metal Blade Records)

While I absolutely loved Revocation's self titled album, I did find the others hard to get into. Deathless though just blew my face off. I was hooked from start to finish, and then put this one on repeat. It's intensity was off the charts, and just put that nail in my black heart to also want to hear more from these guys.


#12: Scar Symmetry - The Singularity (Nuclear Blast Records)

I've never really followed Scar Symmetry before. Hell I think that last album of theirs I really listened to was Pitch Black Progress. I'm not saying that they are band I don't care for, but one I always forgot to listen to. Well all that is changed now, because this album was amazing. There was so much to behold here. The vocals are outstanding, the music is amazing, and it all comes together as one big giant eargasm, song after song. So good, so damn good.


#11: While Heaven Wept - Suspended at Aphelion (Nuclear Blast Records)

Don't kill me, but I have never heard this band before. Yet when I listened to Suspended at Aphelion I punched myself in the face twice. I know this isn't an intense metal album, hell I'm actually surprised to see them listed as a Doom Metal band on some sites over Progressive, but good lord this album is good. Much like Widek, this is one is more of a relaxing album to me. I often found myself putting it on when I was out disc golfing this year. Fantastic stuff, and now if you'll excuse me I need to dive into their back catalog.

____________________________________

So there you have it, my picks for Albums #20 - #11 for the Best of 2014! Be back here on Dec. 17 for picks #10 - #1.
Click here to see #35 - #21.

I have to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to Century Media, Prosthetic Records and Metal Blade for joining me on my quest to bring my love of Horror Comic and Metal to people each month with Monsters & Metal.


• Note: It was not easy to make this list. There are so many great metal albums that come out each year, so I say to you, create your own list and let the world know what stood out to you.