Posted by Unknown |

Decapitated Dan's Best of 2015: Metal Albums #10 - #1

Well it’s the end of the year, and what better way to recap it than by making a list! So check out what Metal Albums I liked best in 2015! 

____________________________________

Now I am by no means a music expert, I just love Metal. I'm not a music reviewer by any means, however in 2013 I started a little podcast called Monsters & Metal. On this monthly show I get a chance to play some amazing music from all over the globe. So I can't have just a Top 10, instead I have a Top 35! So I started with with my 15 Honorable Mentions, and then on to #20 - #11. So here it is, my top 10 Albums of 2015!

Please note that I do not have the time to sit and listen to albums all day, so from what I heard these are my picks.

#10) Disarmonia Mundi - Cold Inferno
Disarmonia Mundi is a band that never lets me down. NEVER. Their style is consistent and their albums are always solid from start to finish. Cold Inferno was a perfect addition to their catalog and just added to my love of the Melodic Death Genre. Highlight Track: Stormghost


#9) Rise to Fall - End vs Beginning
Well I am now adding a new band to that Melodic Death love, because Rise to Fall is awesome. This album has everything I love on it. Great screams, great singing and some amazing music to back it all up. I am so glad I discovered this band this year.  Highlight Track: The Threshold


#8) Mechina - Acheron
I don't even know how to truly describe Mechina. They have some of the most amazing metal sounds I heard this year, but what adds to it are all the extras. There are parts that seem to have a choir singing the choruses, mixed with electronics and sometimes a concert band here and there. This one took me by surprise and I could not stop listening to it. Highlight Track: On the Wings of Nefeli

 

#7) Mors Subita - Degeneration
Mors Subita has a great Melodic Death sound mixed with some damn good groves, but it also pounds when it needs to. They are one of the best bands I got to hear for the first time in 2015, because this album is as complete as it gets. Highlight Track: End Complete



#6) Kamelot - Haven
I would have never, never, never checked out this album had it not been for Z.M. Thomas making me review it on Monsters & Metal. Tommy Karevik is just an amazing vocalist, and he is what pulled me in. I do think that this album has a "Metal Musical Soundtrack" feel to it, but man is it good. I never really though I would enjoy the Power/Prog Metal genre so much, but damn this is good shit. Highlight Track: Citizen Zero


#5) Angelmaker - Dissentient
This is Deathcore at it's finest if you ask me. This album is brutal, and never lets up. I love the two vocal styles, the back and forth from a high pitched scream to a low growl gets me every time. This one was a neck breaker too with those amazing drums. This was just a flat out amazing album. Highlight Track: Shia LeBeouf


#4) 6:33 - Deadly Scenes
I am sure that my love of Dog Fashion Disco played into why I loved this album, but this was the creme dela creme of the all over the place sound. With great metal moments, mixed with jazz, choirs singing, circus sounds... ugh it's so good. I am actually dying in anticipation that they will come to the US to tour. I can not get enough of these songs. Highlight Track: Ego Fandango


#3) Soilwork - The Ride Majestic
Soilwork is my constant. My go to. My band. There is no album from them that I will not listen to all the time. I just love this band. So a new album is out, and it's just as good as everything else they have ever done. I think that Bjorn's singing only gets better on each album. This was a Top 10 pick for me before it was released because I knew it was going to be amazing. Soilwork can not disappoint me. Highlight Track: Whirl of Pain


#2)  Sylosis - Dormant Heart
I was so excited for this album to come out back in January that I really wanted to put it on my 2014 list based off the two tracks I heard. Sylosis has become one of my favorite bands, and Dormant Heart is a perfect example of why. The guitars are ear melting, and then with Josh Middleton's vocals... I just sit back and take it all in. The easy way to put it, Sylosis is so god damn good!  Highlight Track: Victims and Pawns


#1) Leprous - The Congregation
All hail my new music addiction, Leprous. This Prog Metal band could be the best thing I discovered in the past 4 years. My god this album is amazing, and addicting as all hell. Einar Solberg's vocals just grab me and don't let go. When I heard The Congregation for the first time all the way through, I just instantly went and got every other album by the band, I had to hear more. No album got more plays from me this year, and I can't see it getting any less play time any time soon. This is as complete as it gets. Highlight Track: The Flood



So there you have it, my Top 10 albums for 2015
• Note: It was not easy to make this list. There are so many great metal albums that come out each year, so I say to you, create your own list and let the world know what stood out to you.